Pump running fulltime vs timer vs Variable speed with SWG?

Apr 24, 2018
King George, Va
Our pool has a single speed main pump that runs all the time, it also has a timer that controls a booster pump for our Polaris. We converted it to a salt pool last year, adding the SWG. I'd like to reduce our electric bill if it's at all possible.

I've seen postings on here that there's no reason to have a pump that runs all the time, that running the pump only part of the day is sufficient to keep your pool clean. I'm o.k. with electrical work, and I could easily add a timer to the main pump, but I don't think that would interact well with SWG. I'm pretty sure the SWG doesn't work with no flow and it does have a flow sensor, but I'm hesitant to trust that as the way to control salt production. And I'm not sure putting the SWG on the timer with the pump is good either since constantly booting and shutting down the SWG computer probably isn't good?

Is that why people use Variable speed pumps? I presume that's just a matter of replacing the single speed pump with and programming the variable speed one?

So what is the recommended configuration for salt pools? I could just keep it configured like it is now. But I were to change it, what would be the way to go? Thanks for any wisdom

You can wire your SWCG through the timer and power it on only when the pump is powered. It is not an issue with the SWCG.

A two speed or variable speed pump is also a good idea. With the VS pump, you would keep your timer and use it for the SWCG as the VS pumps have built in scheduler systems.

A two speed pump would most likely need a new timer as you would want low speed for most of the time and then you might need high speed for your cleaner.

V,

I second Marty's 2-speed motor suggestion.. VS pumps are great, but with your set-up you could save a fortune just by running a 2-speed on low most of the time. You could still run 24/7, if you wanted, and save about 75% of what you are spending now.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for the replies. I was worried about running the SWG directly off the timer, so it's good that it's not a problem.

My first thought was to just go with a VS pump and run it all the time (just most of the time at low speed). It hadn't occurred to me to by a 2nd timer and run the SWG only part time. Seems pointless to put both a VS pump and SWG on a timer, since if you do that it seems cheaper just to use a single speed pump.

Sorry if these are dumb questions, but does a VS pump running at low speed still clean the pool? How many hours a day does one typically have to run high speed? Or, if I stuck with the single speed pump, typically, how many hours a day does one need to run a single speed pump to keep a pool clean? Are their any guides, or calculators out there that provide any of this info as to the costs/benefits of the different configurations?

VS pumps are designed to have continuous power to them. They should not be controlled via a timer.

I never run my VS pump at high speed other than to run the spa. Cleaning the pool is not based on pump speed unless you have a suction side cleaner. Typically with a SWCG, the time to generate the chlorine needed is what drives the length of time the pump runs each day. A SWCG is not dependent on pump speed, as long as the water flow meets the needs of the flow switch for the SWCG.

Pump Run time

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.