Pump Replacement Recommendations

My single speed pump motor seems to need replacing. It stopped working on Sunday. My pool guy (I only use for opening, closing and repairs) said the capacitor (?) is bad. He did something to get the motor going again, but said I'd have to do it every time I turned it off. He also said the pump probably needs replacing soon regardless. The pump has been the same since I've owned the pool for the past 8 years and I believe he's replaced the motor for me about 4 years ago.

I'm considering getting a new VS pump/motor set up. Does anyone have a recommendation? The local utility company is offering a $200 rebate for getting an energy efficient pump so that will help with the cost.

Thanks.

Do you have any type of automation? Will you be installing yourself or hiring someone? 120 or 240 volt wiring?

Pentair's IntelliFlo VS 011028 or VSF 011056 are great pumps with max 3 HP. Superflo VS is also a great pump, but may be undersized for your pool with 1.5 max HP. Pentair is currently offering a rebate as well. Pentair pumps are well-regarded here, but a bit pricey.

If the wet end of you pump is is good shape, a V-Green VS motor will convert your pump into a VS.

Pentair's rebates are a bit confusing. If you're doing a DIY install your basic full warranty is 60-days. If you buy from an authorized E-Commerce online retailer, you get the basic warranty plus one year parts only. If you buy a "trade-grade" pump from a brick and mortar, builder or supply company, you get additional coverage (Pentair Warranties).

Lots of options and confusion out there.

Do you have any type of automation? Will you be installing yourself or hiring someone? 120 or 240 volt wiring?

Pentair's IntelliFlo VS 011028 or VSF 011056 are great pumps with max 3 HP. Superflo VS is also a great pump, but may be undersized for your pool with 1.5 max HP. Pentair is currently offering a rebate as well. Pentair pumps are well-regarded here, but a bit pricey.

If the wet end of you pump is is good shape, a V-Green VS motor will convert your pump into a VS.

Pentair's rebates are a bit confusing. If you're doing a DIY install your basic full warranty is 60-days. If you buy from an authorized E-Commerce online retailer, you get the basic warranty plus one year parts only. If you buy a "trade-grade" pump from a brick and mortar, builder or supply company, you get additional coverage (Pentair Warranties).

Lots of options and confusion out there.
No automation. My pool guy will do the installation. He suggested a Pentair and thought a 1.5 HP pump would be sufficient. Do you believe my pool size is too large for the 1.5 HP. I have a robot cleaner and don’t use the pump for anything but filter/circulation.

With no spa and no water features, a SuperFlo VS (1.5 HP) should work for you. My father-in-law just installed one on a basic 20,000 gallon pool, and it works very well for him at lower RPMs. Your pool guy should have a pretty good idea what will and will not work.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.