Pump ran without flow for hours, with filter set to "closed"

Feb 5, 2018
Paoli PA
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pool technician, perhaps no longer, replaced a valve yesterday morning. He set the multiport valve to "closed" for the work, I assume (still waiting for his callback currently). It appears that he left the valve "closed" and left.

My timer runs the pump 3 times daily for 3 hours each time, and it would have run from 3PM-6PM and then 11PM-2AM.

Last night I didn't check the equipment (I didn't know my tech came and made repairs) but the water level was fine. This morning I noticed the water level down about halfway maybe lower, and upon checking the equipment I saw that the pump outlet pipe broke.

So, at 3PM the pump came on and had no flow just a load of pressure, for 3 hours. Then at 11PM the pump came on and at some point once the pipe broke it began pumping water out of the pool. I suppose this is not as bad as running the pump dry, but how worried should I be about the pump? Aside from replacing thousands of gallons and then balancing it all over again, I hate to think about potentially replacing the pump now too.

If the pump never ran dry for an extended period of time you may be okay. If it did, it would've either tripped (OFF) or gotten so hot you would see melted/distorted plastic in that pump area. Finger's crossed your tech just needs to do some PVC clean-up and provide some serious apologies for not ensuring the worksite was in proper order before leaving. :hammer:

Curious that the "pipe broke" PVC should be able to withstand a full blockage of about 30-35 psi. That said, perhaps that saved the pump from getting to hot and melting down,
So for whatever reason, the pump outlet line is not a pipe but really a hose, like in this arrangement:
images

I assumed that the previous owner chose this for "visibility" of the flow... but now as I panic-search for equipment I am seeing some setups looking like that.

I didn't get eyes on the gauge but I imagine the pressure was very high for 3 hours in the afternoon while the pump ran with the valve closed. Is there much concern for the pump or the valve having been subjected to that? I guess I have to just continue on hoping for as much life as possible, this equipment must be over a decade old anyway.

Repairs have been made, the pump is back running.
Tech replaced the hose with solid PVC. No unions, so I foresee a replacement later on maybe this fall/winter. But for now I'm up and running.
Filter pressure is up about 10 psi compared with prior running, and the pump sounds to my ears a bit noisier than before. So I'm a little worried... but unsure if I have any recourse aside from continuing to run the pump until it fails, or if I should pursue having the motor/pump serviced, or figure out how to do it myself if I can take the time.
Flow seems good.

Reactions: Texas Splash
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.