Pump purchase help please!

etuser

Mar 28, 2020
Houston
So my pump is shot and needs to be replaced. Currently have a Waterway Champion Champs 120. Pool is about 16k gallons plus a spa with a spillway.

Have an Compool to Easy-touch Upgrade with Screnlogic. Pentair equipment aside from the pumps. Have another Champion pump that runs some water features.

I would think I would replace with a Pentair pump, but want opinions. Also, suspect best to get a variable speed pump, but would also like opinions. Also, thoughts on how much I should expect to pay for parts and labor would also be appreciated.

Thanks all!

This an AGP or IG? Please create your signature with details of your pool and equipment.

Post pics of your pump and motor data plate.

If you want a Pentair VS pump look at the Intelliflo 011028 pump.

I got an email from Leslies last week offering free installation on Pentair pumps. The Intelliflo 011028 pump is $1299 from them plus free installation. They also give you a 4 year warranty on the pump.

I am really contemplating if I should pull the trigger on this. Nothing is broken right now, but I have been wanting a variable speed pump and this might just be the deal that puts me over the edge.

Great! To respond to @ajw22, I have updated my sig and attached a few pics of the pump.

I think I will go with the Intelliflo 011028 from Leslie’s. A couple of questions:

1. I’m in Houston. How long can I let my pool be idle. Leslie’s is telling me they can’t install for 10 days.
2. I am posting another pic of a valve that I may want to replace. Can someone please tell me what size it is (I couldn’t find any markings)? The only marking I see is on the PVC elbow and that says 2”. All the ports look to be the same size.

Thank you.

Attachments

• 8771C8A0-F769-4197-ABDE-2EA8D7CA8802.jpeg
    8771C8A0-F769-4197-ABDE-2EA8D7CA8802.jpeg
    640.4 KB · Views: 13
  • 93D75505-7DBC-4F66-A7BF-2134F318BE7B.jpeg
    93D75505-7DBC-4F66-A7BF-2134F318BE7B.jpeg
    360.1 KB · Views: 15
  • 46025C1A-4FD1-41C0-8C21-53AD00663926.jpeg
    46025C1A-4FD1-41C0-8C21-53AD00663926.jpeg
    414.6 KB · Views: 15
  • 23F6E6FB-C05A-4AE9-B664-47844DAC961E.jpeg
    23F6E6FB-C05A-4AE9-B664-47844DAC961E.jpeg
    292 KB · Views: 15
What is your CYA? Add 5 ppm of liquid chlorine daily and stir the water with your pool brush or run your robot cleaner while the pump is idle.

That looks like a standard diverter valve 2” OD/1 1/2” ID. If you have 2” pipe on your equipment pad better to use 2 1/2” OD/2” ID that maintains a 2” inside pipe flow.

I got an email from Leslies last week offering free installation on Pentair pumps. The Intelliflo 011028 pump is $1299 from them plus free installation. They also give you a 4 year warranty on the pump.

Dude,

The IntelliFlo 011028 is the gold standard of pool pumps.. I normally would not even use a bathroom in a Leslies, but that deal sounds pretty good to me.. I'd be looking at any loop holes, like extra if they have to redo any plumbing or anything else that would allow them to charge you more.

If you do go that route, make sure you buy pump unions for the installer to use.. They are special and you can't buy them at home depot.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thanks @ajw22. It seems odd to me that the return lines are 2” but the return back to the pool looks to be 1.5”. Does that make sense?

2” plumbing at the equipment pad and 1.5” return runs underground to pool is often done. It makes flow easier through the equipment then the reduction increases pressure out if the returns.

@ajw22 the plumbing around those valves is pretty tight and looks like there is only room to place the elbows over the valve flanges, as opposed to being able to get a pipe inside the valve. Is there a trick to doing that in a tight space?

Also, is the valve flange thicker than the 2” pvc? The reason I ask is the elbow goes over the pvc pipe and the flange - so I would though the inside diameter of the pipe would be similar to the valve flange.

Thanks again!

I can't see all of your plumbing in the pics. It really does not make that much of a differnce between 1 1/2" or 2". Do whatever works and is easiest for you.

I did. I just bought it yesterday as it was the last day of the sale. I also bought the unions that Jim recommended and am waiting to schedule the install.

Now just making sure that my DIY controller can handle the new pump.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.