ss32000

Aug 3, 2022
Downers Grove, Illinois
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I just opened up my pool and I'm trying to do it myself for the first time. I got the cover off, plugs pulled out for the returns and skimmers, opened up all the pipes, but now when I try running my pump, I've got pressure. Water is sitting in the bottom of the pump, but it's not filling up that basket. I cleaned the skimmer and pump baskets, I tried opening up the air line on the filter. Anybody have any tips or ideas? My water level was a little high, so I'm dumping some water, but is there anything else I'm missing or not thinking about?

Did you put Pool Lube on the pump lid O ring and the pump drain plug O rings?

All the plugs out of the skimmer(s)?

Skimmer weir door moving and not stuck?

Post pics of your equipment pad.

I can try to grease all the o rings. I didn't do that to the filter I guess. When starting up the pump I'm trying to fill the basket with water as much as I can as well to just help prime it.

I've been leaving the filter air line vented and sometimes I can hear some air leaking out. When I stop the pump, I can see some water bubble back up into the pump like some pressure was released. Should I try filling up the filter more with water? It comes apart in the middle so I can only go half way. I also am wondering if I'm getting the filter clamp back on correctly. It was squeaking more than I remember as I tighten it, but it says to be 1/16 of an inch or no gap.

You have a union on the suction intake of the pump. Check that the union is not loose or cracked.

You are looking at the wrong place for this problem with your filter. A failure to prime is a suction side air leak. The problem is from your pump basket back towards your skimmers. Any leak in your filter is on the pressure side and will leak water and not suck in air.

You did not show pics of the full suction side before your pump.

Alright, got the pump working. There is still air in the line but at least it’s pulling water now to get it through the filter. I want to get some chlorine and testing going while I trouble shoot the air, but I’m getting there now. Thanks guys.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.