Pump only primes on backwash

MirGSS

Jun 3, 2015
Okemos MI
Ok so we seem to have fixed the groundhog hole in our pipe, but now when we turn the pump on, it won't prime.

Other info:
1. Pump primes when filter is set to backwash.
2. Water level is high enough.
3. I changed the pump basket o-ring.
4. I closed both of the skimmer valves, one at a time, and there is no change.
5. I checked for clogs before the pump filter and after the skimmer lines join back up.
6. No clogs in skimmer baskets or pump filter basket.
7. Weirs are fine; just getting very little suction (even with only one skimmer line open) when on filter mode.

I think that's everything. Like I said, it WILL prime on backwash mode. I have not tried other modes yet.

ETA: recirculate does the same as filter. Rinse *works same as backwash. 0 pressure on filter when in filter mode even though I can hear water running into the filter. Impeller and impeller o ring appear fine - no clogs or cracks.

Last edited:
Note that the heater on the left is non-functional and not hooked up to anything.

Just tried replacing the spider gasket assembly (since apparently you can't buy just the gasket anymore) and that made no difference.

Attachments

• 20220611_103902.jpg
    20220611_103902.jpg
    384.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 20220611_103907.jpg
    20220611_103907.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 6
  • 20220611_103917.jpg
    20220611_103917.jpg
    451.4 KB · Views: 5
I only have a few ideas since you have done quite a bit already.
1 - When you replaced the pump pot O-ring, did you lube it?
2 - You just replaced the entire key diverter assembly correct? Were you having this prime issue before that work, or after?
3 - I'm wondering if prime is struggling on filter as if there is more "pull" suction required than on any other setting. Maybe a stretch, but a thought. Have you checked carefully all those connections, hoses, clamps, etc to ensure there are no other suction side air leaks getting in?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.