Pump off while on vacation - leave at shock level or add polyquat?

Sep 20, 2018
N TN
Pool Size
Surface
Fiberglass
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
We are getting ready to leave for a week-long vacation and have decided to turn the pump off before we leave for peace of mind because our pump and SWG have been acting up lately and we don’t know anyone who can come daily to check on the pump, dump leaves out of the skimmers, and add chlorine. Since we frequently get a lot of leaves and mice in our pool, we are going to cover the pool with our mesh loop-loc safety cover before we leave. I’m hoping that the cover will decrease the chances of coming home to a swamp since it will keep organics out of the pool and will decrease FC consumption some.

I need some advice on what we should do chemically before we leave to prevent coming home to a dark green, swampy pool that could take week or more to clear. Here are our latest test results. FC: 8, CC: .5, CYA 60, PH: 7.6, TA: 100, CH: 200.

Since mesh covers let in rain water and the water is very warm, I was wondering if we should leave with FC at shock level (24) or add polyquat the night before, like we do when we close the pool for the winter. I know from experience that polyquat decreases FC to low levels after it is added so I wasn’t sure if it would be helpful to use it when the water is warm since FC is consumed faster in warm weather. If Polyquat could possibly help, I need to know when to add it, how much to add, and if I should bump FC back up before we leave if the polyquat lowers it. If there is a possibility that we could come home to very little algae because the pool will be covered, we would like to just leave at shock level instead. I know that we will likely come home to some algae since the water will be warm and stagnant for a week, but I’d like to do whatever it takes to decrease the chances of coming hope to dark green, swampy pool that could take over a week to clear. Liquid chlorine is becoming hard to find here so I’m worried that I could run out of chlorine during a slam if it takes longer than week.

The tough part is that neither chlorine or Poly are designed to last a full week on one dose. I would probably just go to SLAM level and hope for the best. Perhaps toss a couple floaters on the water with tabs as well. With no circulation at all it could be a mess when you get back, so prepare for a SLAM when you get back. If it's not bad, you caught a lucky break.

Reactions: poolnewbie4
The tough part is that neither chlorine or Poly are designed to last a full week on one dose. I would probably just go to SLAM level and hope for the best. Perhaps toss a couple floaters on the water with tabs as well. With no circulation at all it could be a mess when you get back, so prepare for a SLAM when you get back. If it's not bad, you caught a lucky break.
I can’t find any chlorine tabs because of this chlorine shortage so I guess I’m going to have to leave it at shock level and just hope for the best. If 24 ppms won’t last a week with the pool covered, could I leave with a higher chlorine level without harming the fiberglass? Since rain is expected and we will likely have some algae when we return, would it help to lower the PH before we get the pool up to shock level and leave?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.