Pump not working in auto regime.

richard.th

May 24, 2024
Spain
Hi, Everyone!
Hope to find some advice here :)

I primed a pump like people suggest on many videos. It works well (in my opinion :) ).
Water level in the pool is high. Pump is full of water. It keep working with a skimmer open, a drain open and both open in manual. Water flow looks fine. Filter pressure is in green. Pump is cold when I touch it.
But once I switch to manual mode it stops and water goes out of the pump immediately.

I tried to unclog pump as I watched on video, it's clear inside. I also tried to unclog skimmer with a garden water backflow. Water goes back to the skimmer properly.
I maybe should just leave it in manual mode for a long run?

Could someone suggest how to troubleshoot this?

Thank you!

Welcome to TFP.
It appears you have an automation system. What type?
Normally when you switch the system from auto mode to manual mode, the pump should turn off. It does that so you can clean pump filter basket or some activity. The system will only turn on if you manually press a button.
When you switch the system back to auto mode, then it should follow whatever schedule you have set.
Post a picture of your automation system, the pump and overall equipment pad.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Richard,

When you say "Auto" and "Manual" are you talking about an automation system??

If you turn off the pump, the water should stay in the pump. If it drains back into the pool, then you have an air leak somewhere.

What happens when you are in Auto??

Thanks,

Jim R.

Yes, when pump in manual everything looks fine. Pump is full of water, primed, filter pressure is in green zone.

Then I switch to Auto with Skimmer and Drain valves open. And I expect pump to start running immediately.
But it doesn’t run and water goes back to pull.

I maybe should stay in manual mode only, but I’m not sure that it protects the pump. And why do I need Auto then?

Richard,

I found a manual for your pump but it gave no instructions on operation.. :cry:

I would assume the manual mode will just run the pump at a single speed until you shut if off.

I would assume that Auto, allows you to enter a schedule so that the pump would run at a specific time each day for x hours a day.

Did you set a schedule up in the pump?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Richard,

I found a manual for your pump but it gave no instructions on operation.. :cry:

I would assume the manual mode will just run the pump at a single speed until you shut if off.

I would assume that Auto, allows you to enter a schedule so that the pump would run at a specific time each day for x hours a day.

Did you set a schedule up in the pump?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Dear Jim, thank you for your help.
I also couldn’t find anything about operation of the pump.
Have no clue how to create or edit schedule. Will try to find something in internet.

Do you think it’s safe just to leave it in Manual? Should it stop in case of overheating?

Thanks

Richard,

Most pool pumps are designed to run 24/7, so should not be an issue..

Just because I am curious, please show me a pic of the display or buttons, whatever it has.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Richard,

Most pool pumps are designed to run 24/7, so should not be an issue..

Just because I am curious, please show me a pic of the display or buttons, whatever it has.

Thanks,

Jim R.

I’m not near the pool now. Sorry for a bad picture I found. There is no display. Just I tumbler with “Manual” / “Off” / “Auto” options.
That’s why I have doubts that it’s programmable.

Attachments

• IMG_9594.jpeg
    IMG_9594.jpeg
    88.8 KB · Views: 3
Richard,

Ok.. I suspect that inside the pump control panel somewhere is a Dip Switch pack.. Setting the dip switches to different positions, could set the pump to run on different programs or times.. Just a guess, but how else would Auto work???

Pretty hard to tell without a manual. :(

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here is my pump. It has Manual, Off and Auto mode.
As I understand in Manual it always On. In Off it’s off and in Auto it’s on and goes off when overheated or out of water.

It worked fine half a day in auto but just went off then.

I think I looked at the same manual that Jim found as well. No information on Auto, Manual or OFF. If you look at pages 33 to 36 where there are some pictures and graphics, I think this pump is a non-self priming pump. And probably designed to run 24/7. That top part the pump which appears to be a control panel is only where the electrical connections are made. On Pg 36 there is a Fig 4 and has multiple individual pictures - pictures C & D look identical showing the on and off switch. There may be something there but I cannot see the difference of those 2 pictures.

The auto setting may just be a safety feature to stop the pump as indicated by Richard.

If @richard.th can provide some actual photos of the switch and of the top of the pump then it may make better sense.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Guys, thank you for your help. I've talked to a consultant in a local store. They say that Auto will stop pump when it runs out of water. Manual is just ON.
Still don't understand why it stops when I switch to auto. Pump is full of water and works fine in Manual. I'm keeping it in manual half a day today. It's a bit hot, I would say around 60 degrees. What is a normal temperature for a pump? It's +30 celsius outside today.

Guys, thank you for your help. I've talked to a consultant in a local store. They say that Auto will stop pump when it runs out of water. Manual is just ON.
Still don't understand why it stops when I switch to auto. Pump is full of water and works fine in Manual. I'm keeping it in manual half a day today. It's a bit hot, I would say around 60 degrees. What is a normal temperature for a pump? It's +30 celsius outside today.
Motors will run hot - so 60 degrees C would not surprise me, especially if it is hot outside and the motor is in direct sunlight. You could put up a cover over the equipment pad to keep direct sunlight off of the pump/motor.

Reactions: richard.th