Pump not filling up with water

Water line about 3/4 up to the skimmer. The weir door is not as flat as it was so seems to be working better but did not solve my water level in the pump.

When I opened the pool this year I replaced the gaskets on the wide mouth skimmer. I did notice a few of the screw holes on the skimmer had tiny hairline cracks. Pool installer probably tightened too much. I have no leaks on the outside of the skimmer. Would this be the cause if a suction side leak? I mean the hairline cracks on the holes are under the water line and no leaks on the outside of the pool. If this could be the reason for the pump not filling 100% with water I will replace the skimmer.

We all like to see a pump pot 100% full of water to the point it almost looks empty under the lid. Mine is rarely that way, being mostly full with a few bubbles. My pot level drops as the filter gets dirty. You mentioned you cleaned the filters a while back, but is there any chance your chemistry is allowing a high organic load? The filter pressure gauge may or may not show it.

We all like to see a pump pot 100% full of water to the point it almost looks empty under the lid. Mine is rarely that way, being mostly full with a few bubbles. My pot level drops as the filter gets dirty. You mentioned you cleaned the filters a while back, but is there any chance your chemistry is allowing a high organic load? The filter pressure gauge may or may not show it.
It was like this the day I opened the pool. The filters are clean and the cartridges are on the 2nd season. The whole setup is only a year old. I do have replacement cartridges I may swap out. I will add this as the next trouble shooting item along with lubing/replacing o rings and gaskets, tightening connections etc.
BTW all chemical readings are spot on. water crystal clear no algae etc.

BTW all chemical readings are spot on. water crystal clear no algae etc.
That's good to hear, but your signature is blank and doesn't show your equipment or which test kit you are using. There are no test results posted in this thread yet, and your PoolMath APP test logs are not linked to TFP, so we can't see your chemistry. This may very well be a mechanical issue (seal, etc), but it's always good to rule-out chemistry right off the bat. At some point it would be reassuring to see all your numbers so we can put that concern behind us.

Updated profile. Here are my test results:
Perfect. :goodjob: I do get a little nervous when I see an FC on the lower side like that. Even in your area and with a relatively low CYA, summers get warm and if the chlorine dips even just for a short time the water will look good but there's a large organic demand we can't see. The pressure gauge may not show it either. It happens to all of us at some point. By chance have you considered doing an Overnight Chlorine Loss Test just to be safe? Probably not a bad idea while you continue to look for any mechanical culprits.

I’ve had the air bubble in the pump basket issue before. I ended up replacing the rubber gasket on the lid to the pump basket and it fixed my problem. I keep it well lubricated now. We have lots of trees, so I’m constantly emptying that basket, even with nets in the skimmer baskets.

Reactions: xpert66
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.