Silver Supporter
Apr 12, 2016
Philadelphia, PA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Greetings. My 6-year-old Pentair Whisperflo Two Speed 1 HP motor just went up in smoke. Lights flickered and I happened to be near the breaker panel and heard a breaker trip. Saw it was the pool pump 220 breaker and then went outside to find smoke coming from the motor!

So... I need to replace it and wondering if the experts here can tell me what is compatible / what I should get as a replacement. Looks like everything is variable speed pumps now.

What I have:
Pentair WFDS-4 011486 WhisperFlo Two Speed, 1 Horsepower, 230 Volt, 1 Phase

Hoping to just swap the motor, of course.

tia

Thanks! I had actually found the ECM16SQU as well through some of my searching over the last hour. Is the only difference between the ECM16SQU and EPA16SQ the color? Just seems weird to have such a different model number for just a color change.

Also, what about the seal?

Thanks! I had actually found the ECM16SQU as well through some of my searching over the last hour. Is the only difference between the ECM16SQU and EPA16SQ the color? Just seems weird to have such a different model number for just a color change.

Also, what about the seal?
Same motor for ones who care that the motor match their Pentair equipment. Most people never knew they existed. First one I used made the customer so happy he gave me a $50.00 tip. Go figure. I did it because it was available and the ECM wasn't.

Reactions: Newdude and JamesW
Thanks for the help. I ended up getting the VS upgrade kit after talking to inyopools. Same motor but different controller, but Included the seal and impeller and shipping was a lot less.

So… now I’m looking at the wiring. My current two speed 220V pump is activated through two mechanical timers. It looks like this just gets a single three wire set up. How would I adapt my current wiring to this?

If I’m thinking this through correctly, I think I would just not use the red wire that I have going to my motor now? That is the low speed leg. I’m not certain, but I believe in this configuration both 2 and 3 are equal in terms of voltage/current(?) and I believe the current motor automatically switches speed when when 3 receives power?

(The white mechanical box in the pic is for something unrelated)

Attachments

• IMG_5599.jpeg
    IMG_5599.jpeg
    372 KB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5601.jpeg
    IMG_5601.jpeg
    757.9 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5598.jpeg
    IMG_5598.jpeg
    345.8 KB · Views: 7
Thanks for the help. I ended up getting the VS upgrade kit after talking to inyopools. Same motor but different controller, but Included the seal and impeller and shipping was a lot less.

So… now I’m looking at the wiring. My current two speed 220V pump is activated through two mechanical timers. It looks like this just gets a single three wire set up. How would I adapt my current wiring to this?

If I’m thinking this through correctly, I think I would just not use the red wire that I have going to my motor now? That is the low speed leg. I’m not certain, but I believe in this configuration both 2 and 3 are equal in terms of voltage/current(?) and I believe the current motor automatically switches speed when when 3 receives power?

(The white mechanical box in the pic is for something unrelated)
Which motor did you get. Most of the time a VSP requires constant power. If you purchase an EVO motor, you can use the T104, the single-speed timer, to cycle power. Then, the internal run times/speeds will take over. It will take two wires that are/will be switched and a ground for that motor.

Last edited:
Which motor did you get. Most of the time a VSP requires constant power. If you purchase an EVO motor, you can use the T104, the single-speed timer, to cycle power. Then, the internal run times/speeds will take over. It will take two wires that are/will be switched and a ground for that motor.
EVQ165 is the model I got. And yea, that's what I was gathering --- I just wouldn't use the one timer anymore. I just want to make sure I understand which wires I need to go where old motor compared to new motor.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I believe it's okay in this application for about 4 days of use? This floater has never had any other tablets in it. I am not concerned about calcium as this 15+ year old plaster pool eats calcium for breakfast.
The advice not to use tablets after using the cal hypo in that particular floater is because mixing the two - even if is just residue from the cal hypo, can cause some pretty spectacular explosions and someone could get hurt. So maybe a warning label on this one so no one puts anything else in it!

I believe it's okay in this application for about 4 days of use? This floater has never had any other tablets in it. I am not concerned about calcium as this 15+ year old plaster pool eats calcium for breakfast.
Its going to dissolve fairly quickly, anyway, not like a Tri-Chlor tablet. Might as well add it all at once, spread over the entire pool so no one gets hurt at some point. Its OK to bump your FC level high.
Or, get cal-hypo tablets, expensive, and a dedicated floater. They dissolve quickly as well, but not quite as fast as the granular.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.