Geminisq

May 23, 2021
LargoFL
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Our 1HP Hayward pump motor has died, only the motor, not the pump. Just as I was getting ready to vacuum. We have one arriving on Monday. My FC was 5 today. I have increased my CYA from 40 to 50 as a large tree was removed this past year which gave a lot of shade. We are now FULL SUN. FC today was 5. My plan is to add some extra chlorine and brush it around with help from the kids to circulate it. Any other suggestions?

Any suggestions on how much extra chlorine ?
Anything on the high end of your ideal FC range as noted on the FC/CYA Levels should buy you enough time. If you need to add more later you can.

Reactions: Geminisq
Anything on the high end of your ideal FC range as noted on the FC/CYA Levels should buy you enough time. If you need to add more later you can.
So apparently the motor got too hot and stopped working. It clicked back on this morning at the time set on the timer. 🤷 We are still going to replace it because the bottom of it is badly rusted. So at least I was able to have circulation today to add chlorine. Thanks so much for your help!

So apparently the motor got too hot and stopped working. It clicked back on this morning at the time set on the timer. 🤷 We are still going to replace it because the bottom of it is badly rusted. So at least I was able to have circulation today to add chlorine. Thanks so much for your help!

I'm a little confused about the differences in SS motors vs. VSP. I believe ours is a SS. What goes into deciding if we want to replace the current motor w/a VS?

Single speed motors are energy hogs. Very inefficient and have no flexibility in settings. Variable speeds are becoming today's standard and in some states are mandatory. Models vary but offer an array of programming options for convenience and efficiency. Some pool owners still buy 2-speed motors which at least allow you to switch between a low and high speed.

Reactions: Geminisq
We put it back on the timer, but the water resistant timer only has 4 start/stop settings. I just checked it and it's really hot. I took it off the timer and have alarms set to manually turn it on and off to only run 2 hours at a time. There is a delay getting the new motor so we are trying to not have it burn up before the new one arrives.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.