Pump making noise

Just checked my receipt. Tomorrow is the 1 year mark from install. Called and they said parts but not labor still covered! This is my 2nd variable speed intelliflo pump. The 1st one only lasted 2 years. At $1500 a pop it gets expensive.

Bearings usually go bad due to a leaking seal. For a seal to go bad in that short a time is usually the result of bad water chemistry or running the pump dry. Occasionally the seal-plate can be damaged, but that is rare. A motor shop can easily replace the bearings in the motor. I've done it several times and I'm not a motor shop. Variable-speed motors are much easier to work on than standard motors. There are warnings about the strength of the magnets that should be heeded, but the job is a straight forward bearing replacement. If the drive is functioning correctly, it is worth a try.

The motor is totally enclosed. Spraying silicone on the outer casing isn't going to do anything.

The seal might be squeaking or maybe the bearings.

If it's the seal, it might smooth out on its own as the seal wears down.

If it's the bearings, it's only going to get worse.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
For some reason some of the new seals squeak. Sometimes the squeaking goes away as the surfaces polish themselves by rotating against each other.

Keep an eye out for leaks and replace the seal if necessary.

I would get a seal on hand so that you can replace it immediately if necessary.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.