Southlake, TX
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Salt Water Generator
SWG Type
Pentair Intellichlor IC-40
My Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump is ~2 years old, but gets very loud during freezing temperatures (see video in link). It seems to go back to normal for 1-2 seconds, then back to loud again. Any idea what is causing this? If it's a pump issue, I'm hopeful Pentair will address it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cluenino
VS pumps are known to sometimes have a chirping sound at low temperatures. What rpm are you using?

Those rpm should be fine. Much higher than I ever use, but if you need that for your system, that is great.

I do not see any leaks under the pump. See if it goes away when it warms up.

I have the exact same sounds at temps below about 38 degrees OAT. Same pump as well. Has happened ever since installed. (One year, nine months ago)

Those rpm should be fine. Much higher than I ever use, but if you need that for your system, that is great.

I do not see any leaks under the pump. See if it goes away when it warms up.
Thanks, correct there are no leaks. It will quiet down when the temps warm up, but it still seems alarming to me.

This was one of the top Google results when I just searched "pool pump freezing noise". I'm in Houston with the same pump, same age, and same noise, except mine is continuous with no breaks. Good luck to all of us.

Put your hand on the plastic shroud on the back of the pump and see if the noise stops. My original pump got pretty loud in the cold and it was the plastic.

Mine sounds exactly the same. Was that noisy last winter in cold temps as well. I've heard speculation that the pumps built in the aftermath of the last big freeze in 2021 may have lesser-quality bearings, but have no proof. The noise is definitely disconcerting, but I haven't had it quit on me, and at higher RPMs or warmer temps, it smooths out/quiets down. I do try to tent my pad and throw a shop light in near the tent to keep things a touch warmer, and the pump doesn't seem to complain quite as much, as when I've left it exposed to the elements in the cold.

My Pentair Intelliflo VS Pump is ~2 years old, but gets very loud during freezing temperatures (see video in link). It seems to go back to normal for 1-2 seconds, then back to loud again. Any idea what is causing this? If it's a pump issue, I'm hopeful Pentair will address it.

I have the same sound during freeze protection mode. My pump is 2 years old also.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.