Bronze Supporter
Apr 16, 2019
Bremen, GA, 65 m west of Atlanta
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
My pump is leaking at all the connections from the pool. Mike (hubby) has tightened everything as much as it will tighten, replaced Teflon tape everywhere we used it, and now we're at our wits' end. Any ideas? I'm considering just replacing the pump (and filter) with the 1 hp unit I bought last year and didn't install due to splodey ankle. Or maybe it's 1.5 hp. I don't remember. I was going to install it at the end of this season, but needs must...

Here are the connections that are leaking. This is the hose from the pump to the sand filter. Both are on reducers to take a 1 1/2 port down to fit a 1 1/4 hose. Or whatever Intex/Bestway uses -- I've had a brain fart on the size.

IMG_20210528_091627950.jpg

This is the hose from the pool to the filter.

IMG_20210528_091641114.jpg

This is the hose from the pool to the pump.

IMG_20210528_091644863.jpg

Mike says he may have gotten all of them tight except the hose from the pump to the filter. He took the reducers off and applied new Teflon tape, then really tightened them down.

Last edited:
Is the leak coming from the threaded fittings into the pump/filter or from where the hose attaches to the fitting? Hose clamps can can work but keep in mind that the hose is under pressure and you also have alot of extra hose so the weight of the water can cause an issue as well. Try putting another hose clamp on each fitting in the opposite direction.

For a more reliable connection, plumb it with unions and PVC/flexible PVC

Here's a puzzlement -- Mike (hubby) just came in to update me on the pump leakage. In the course of conversation he said the hoses fit the outlets on the pump without the converter from 1 1/2 inch to 1 1/4 inch. I told him that's impossible because the fittings on the pool are 1 1/4. He said they fit on the pool just fine. So did my fittings grow? Did the converter shrink? Am I living in Bizarro World?

I'm so confused!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.