Pump just hums.

So I have a 8yr/o Pentair 340038 SuperFlo that decided it doesn't want to start this year.

I replaced the run capacitor but that didn't change anything. I then removed the back cover and was unable to get the shaft to turn.
View attachment 499059
I just wanted to check that I'm correct in assuming that piece sticking out of the center is indeed the back of my shaft and should be able to turn freely.

Trying to take apart the housing and replace bearings is beyond my ability, so it looks like I'm buying a new pump unless there is something else easy I can check?
Nidec NPTQ165 will bolt to the wet end (with new gaskets, seal, etc.) and run on 120V.

If you are lucky you may just have a seized bearing. The motor is not high torque so a rusted/seized bearing will keep it from turning. If you break it free it may run for the season. More if you replace the bearing and gaskets. I think Leslies sells the gasket set with bearing for about $30. You can get away with the existing gaskets if not damaged. If chewed up a light use of silicone caulk with the existing ones will reseal.

You should have 4 bolts on the motor and 6 on the pump head. Shut the power off at the breaker and remove the motor or pump bolts or both with a ratchet. A flat head screwdriver will let you separate them. Get to the shaft and turn it with a wrench or channel locks to break it free. If you lube with wd40 or similar only do it on the motor bearing. Using it in the pump head would get lubricant in the pool.

If its not working anyway you don't have to worry about breaking it right? May save you a few dollars.

Attachments

• IMG_20230602_183629.jpg
    IMG_20230602_183629.jpg
    454 KB · Views: 2
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.