Axil

Aug 17, 2015
Danbury CT
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
So I have a 8yr/o Pentair 340038 SuperFlo that decided it doesn't want to start this year.

I replaced the run capacitor but that didn't change anything. I then removed the back cover and was unable to get the shaft to turn.
20230601_155916.jpg
I just wanted to check that I'm correct in assuming that piece sticking out of the center is indeed the back of my shaft and should be able to turn freely.

Trying to take apart the housing and replace bearings is beyond my ability, so it looks like I'm buying a new pump unless there is something else easy I can check?

Yes.
Assume you do not have any automation, etc.
The 125V limits what is available. Is the wet end of the pump OK?

Yes.
Assume you do not have any automation, etc.
The 125V limits what is available. Is the wet end of the pump OK?
I'm sorry I don't know what you mean by "wet end" if you're talking about where the water goes through as far as I can tell it's fine. I don't know for sure there isn't something wrong with the impeller or anything that's not visible through the basket opening or pipe inlets.

Just asking as you might be able to mate up a VS motor to your wet end. Or you can get full new system. The easiest swap for a full system is a Pentair Superflo VS. Plumbing will match up and it will run on 120V.

If you want to use just a motor, then @1poolman1 has one that they recommend that should work. He can advise on that.

Ouch that's kinda outside my price range. I paid about 350 for the thing new in 2015. It's not a variable speed like the one you linked, but it looks like even the single speed from pentair are pretty expensive now.

I'm not too worried about the positioning of the plumbing. The intake is a flexible pipe anyway and I can replumb the PVC to the filter if need be.

What's the downside to getting somthing cheap like this?

*edit* sorry it wouldn't let me link, I was looking ar the pureline 1506 from inyopools.com

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Be ware there are federal regulations that limit the effective HP of single speed pumps that are sold now. So a proper VS pump is preferable. And limiting yourself to 120V is an issue.

Be ware there are federal regulations that limit the effective HP of single speed pumps that are sold now. So a proper VS pump is preferable. And limiting yourself to 120V is an issue.
Ugh, that figures. I can't swing $1k on a pump unfortunately. I'm assuming the cheap dualspeeds wouldn't quality as "proper variable speed pumps" either. Looks like I'll have do some research and see what my best option in the 300-500 range is. =/

Reactions: mknauss
There are some internet sites that will sell replacement motors only. There is a loophole in the regulations for now.

I'm not sure replacing the motor is within my skill set. Especially because I really need to get things up and running this week if I want to open the pool when I planned.

If you have a link handy it's certainly something I'll look into though.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.