Pump isn't properly priming and spa lost water over night

Mar 13, 2017
Riverview, FL
I cleaned my pump strainer basket and filter cartridge last week, and I noticed that the pump basket wasn't completely filling up with water after putting everything back together. I've been looking through old posts on the forums here and have checked all the basics (Checked and lubed o-rings on the filter housing and pump lid, and checked impeller). Just to be safe, I have ordered new o-rings for the pump lid and filter housings, and I will replace those once they arrive. None of these have made any real difference, and the pump is still filling up to just below the top of the lid.

This morning, I noticed that my raised spa had lost about an inch of water. Usually it sits right at the spillover line when the pump shuts off for the night, and this morning it was quite a bit below that.

I normally run the pump at 1200 RPM during the day, and that used to be enough to get a small trickle from the spa spillover, indicating that water was being turned over to that part of the pool. For the past month, I've had to run the pump at a higher speed to get the water to spill over from the spa. I'm out of ideas, and I'm ready for the experts to guide me. I have posted pictures of the waterline in the spa this morning, as well as my equipment pad.

Thanks!

I normally run the pump at 1200 RPM during the day, and that used to be enough to get a small trickle from the spa spillover, indicating that water was being turned over to that part of the pool. For the past month, I've had to run the pump at a higher speed to get the water to spill over from the spa.

That is usually indicative of high filter pressure and a filter that needs cleaning.

ml,

Here are a couple of ideas...

Shut off your Spa Return valve, the one that has the check valve right below it.. Fill up the Spa and the next morning see if it has drained. If not, the check valve is dirty or bad. Not all, but most spas that drain down and stop at the spa eyeballs (jets) are due to this check valve.

On your suction side issue, I would want to eliminate things first.

I suggest you close your cleaner valve and your main drain valve and see what happens. If still bad, I would try just the main drain and then just the cleaner. What you have sure appears to be a suction side air leak...

I am not a fan of running the Cleaner, Main Drain, and Skimmer valves all open 100%... I would run with the cleaner off and 90% skimmer and 10% main drain. Otherwise you don't get a lot of skimmer action.

Normally, when you have to increase speed to get your SWCG or spillover to work, it would be a dirty filter, but unless your water is cloudy your filter should not get that dirty in week or so.

What are your chemical numbers??

FC
CC
pH
TA
CH
CYA
Salt...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thanks for all the great tips, Jim! I will post my numbers tomorrow. I ordered a new o-ring for the pump lid from Amazon. That should be here Monday or Tuesday.

I shifted the skimmer/cleaner/main drain valves around as you suggested, but that didn’t seem to make much of a difference. Could the low pressure on the spa return be another symptom of a bad check valve?

The filter was cleaned a few a few days ago. How long do these cartridge filters typically last before they need to be replaced? Mine is about a year and a half old, and I live in Florida so it’s dealing with lots of rain water.

Thanks again!

ml,

I would expect a cartridge to last for 8 to 10 years... They start to tear and fall apart, so it becomes obvious when they need to be replaced. Some people have two of them, so that they can just take the dirty one out and stick the clean one in...

I would not do anything special until you get your new pump lid O-Ring.. Assuming that does not help, you need to be looking for a suction side air leak.

Here is a good video about using a garden hose... Find an air leak in your swimming pool. - YouTube

Also this link... Pool School - Suction Side Air Leaks

Make sure all your unions are tight...

Thanks,

Jim R.

Update:

I pulled the filter this morning and did a DEEP clean. I spent an hour spraying between each pleat and really got all the junk out of there. I've never cleaned it this thoroughly before, and I was shocked at how much disgusting stuff came oozing out.

Everything is good now! The pump is priming perfectly, and the spa spillover is back to a nice steady flow even at low RPMs.

Take a look at the attached picture. When I was cleaning the filter, this plastic piece came loose and I had to pry it out. It appears to be some sort of a reinforcement ring for the pleats. Has anyone had one of these come out before? Does this mean it's time to get a new filter? Everything seems to be working fine without it.

Thanks for your help!

IMG_1101.jpg

Your experience shows there is cleaning and there is CLEANING! Glad you solved the problem.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.