Pump hums then trips breaker

NullQwerty

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 23, 2008
Hey folks,

After 20+ years of closing my pool for the winter, I finally goofed. I thought for certain I drained the pump but didn't. Sure enough, I went to start it for the season and it hums for a few moments and then trips the breaker. No prior problems with the pump Just want to confirm my understanding...when this happens, I either need a new capacitor or a whole new motor, but the rest of the pump can be salvaged, is that correct? If so, in my case, due to my gaffe, I'm assuming it wouldn't be the capacitor and instead that the motor is frozen and I need to get a new one. Agree?

Thanks

:brickwall: Since you knowingly left water in the pump, that doesn't mean 100% you damaged the motor since the motor and pump (wet end) are separated by the seal plate mating surface and shaft seal. Sure, expansion could've occurred and damaged some interrelated parts. Perhaps even rust developed. A cap is fairly cheap and easy to replace, but before doing that or just assuming the motor bad, I would disconnect power, pull the rear access cover off the motor, and take a look. Perhaps get a wrench on the back of the motor shaft and try to give it a few turns. Perhaps it just got stuck. You might get lucky and break it free. If that doesn't work, you could try a new start/run cap as a last resort. Return them if they don't work. If neither of those options work, then something must've happened to the motor.

If it's only the motor that is damaged, then yes, you should be able to pull it apart from the wet end (pump basket) and replace the motor. Be sure to ask for a "Go-Kit" as well that should come with all the parts required for your application (shaft seals, seal plate gasket/O-rings, etc. Hope that helps.

Thank you! Interesting...so if it were the capacitor, would it just be coincidental on the timing? I pulled the cover, but not seeing much that stands out as being out of the ordinary other than the power wires looking a bit old. This pump came with the house so I'm not sure of the history (we moved a few years ago). Attached some pics below. Anything stand out? To turn the motor shaft, only way to access that would be to remove the motor from the wet end of the pump, correct?

Thanks again!

20220427_131816.jpg

20220427_131821.jpg

20220427_133505.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.