Pump housing water leak

Sinkerz & Floatz

Jun 28, 2019
NY
Last year I noticed some water seeping through the connection of the pipe coming out of the pump housing when the pump is running. It was very little and didn't really spill over.

This year the water showed up again when I opened up the pool, and this time it appears to be dripping off to the side, which leads me to believe a bit more water is making its way out of the junction.

Was debating whether to apply silicone sealent around the junction and call it a day, or should I take more drastic measures and take it apart completely. Don't want to lead the witness, curious to hear your thoughts.

Attachments

• IMG_20200514_095724.jpg
    IMG_20200514_095724.jpg
    369.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20200514_095728.jpg
    IMG_20200514_095728.jpg
    518.6 KB · Views: 13
  • IMG_20200514_095739.jpg
    IMG_20200514_095739.jpg
    278.5 KB · Views: 13
Last edited:
Sealing anything on the pressure side of the pump is very difficult. It won't likely hold very well and not for long. Although it is a lot more work, you will probably be better off pulling it apart.

Sealing anything on the pressure side of the pump is very difficult. It won't likely hold very well and not for long. Although it is a lot more work, you will probably be better off pulling it apart.
Thank you. Do you think I am at risk of a significant failure in the system in the near future? Are these things indicative of a serious issue? Just trying to get an over/under

That is not a significant leak...you can get by but keep an eye on it to make sure it doesn't get worse. You will have to unthread the pipe from the pump to apply teflon pipe tape. It will be quite easy if there is a union in that pipe. If not hopefully there is enough room to put one in during the repair.

You may need some Teflon tape on the threads into the pump. I recommend cutting the pvc and adding unions to the in & out. Makes it easy to work on or switch out. Assuming the same pump dimensions.

Attachments

• 2017-05-26 12.49.21-1s.jpg
    2017-05-26 12.49.21-1s.jpg
    76 KB · Views: 2
Another option is PTFE thread sealant. Goes on as a paste, does a really good job of filling in any nooks and crannies. One thing I would do is carefully inspect the pump housing for signs of cracks. Being in NY, a little water left in there from last season can do some serious damage.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.