Pump having trouble starting

getalegup

May 24, 2019
Austin, TX
My pump is struggling to start. I fear it is about to die. It makes a clicking sound then starts instead of just starting. My signature has my equipment to the best of my knowledge. I am not sure what to ask or do. Replace? Rebuild? If replace, what brands works with my existing equipment? I would assume Hayward. I can post pics if necessary.

The pump is about 9 years old. There's a capacitor in the bump on top. Replace the capacitor to see if it helps.

Here's a video with the same pump. Start at 6:00 minutes in because they start by checking the impeller before they get to the capacitor.

Note that the person in the video used a dual rated capacitor with a 35 uF and a 5 uF capacitor in one capacitor body. Just get a single rating at the same exact uF rating and 370 or 440 volts.

Last edited:
Leg,

If the capacitor fix works you may want to consider adding a seal kit to the pump if it hasn't been done previously. The kits are pretty cheap and easy to install plus there are lots of good videos describing the process. The reason I suggest this now is at your pump's age or earlier the seal starts to leak which eventually causes a bearing failure and this often becomes motor and/or pump replace time. A simple seal change can usually get you at least a few more years.

Chris

Interesting! Where are good places to buy the capacitor and seal kit?
Currently, the pump stopped turning on. The pump makes the clicking sound then stops clicking.
Does this mean the beta rings/motor need replacing? Where would I find replacements?

FYI, I’ve replaced several AC capacitors, so this looks very similar.
Incidentally, the white silicon ring between the motor and the pump housing in my pump has fallen apart.
It seems I need to take the motor off the housing and assess what parts need replacing.
Is there anyway I can know if my pump needs replacing before trying to replace/rebuild parts?

Leg,

The white ring is the ceramic seal ring which is a part of the seal. Pretty common that it cracked and that's why it's falling out. Usually shortly after these crack they leak on the motor shaft and it quickly corrodes the motor bearings...much more difficult repair. You're fortunate to catch this before the motor is damaged. Search for your pump parts diagram then Google the part number and brand. You'll find lots of pool stores online that have it. Or you can call the store James reference above. They sell a "go kit" that has all the o-rings and gaskets needed to reassemble the pump.

I hope this helps.

Chris

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Update, the pump isn’t making clicking sounds as it try’s to start. All I can hear is a humming sound for several seconds. The impeller turns freely. It makes a clicking sounds as it’s turned.

also, I took the capacitor cover off to get the capacitor info. The hole the capacitor wires run through has a slight burnt smell. Not sure if any of this means anything. I guess if the impeller turns Feedly, the motor hasn’t ceased. But, is the clicking sound coming from the pump as I turn the normal

Inside the front vents, you should be able to see a fan. Maybe something got in the vents and damaged the fan?

The fan blades are white plastic. Maybe that's what you're seeing?

If the fan is damaged, the windings will overheat and can burn up. That might have happened.

There's excessive corrosion on the metal of the pump. Do you store chlorine or acid near the pump?

In this video at 4:00, you can see what the fan looks like inside the motor. The air is sucked into the front vents and exits through the rear vents.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.