Pump Guage snapped off in freezing temp

unc99

Apr 11, 2019
SC
Hi all, in the Carolinas with a year round pool, and power went off early this morning. I went out to drain water around pump pipes, etc., and was going to let the air of the pressure gauge. I literally just touched the air valve and the hole guage piece (plastic) snapped off due to being frozen. Now the power is back on, and obviously want to let the pool pump run, but I have to stop water from coming out of the hole at the top of the filter case cap. I used some flex seal tape and it seems to be working for the moment (see pic). Any thoughts about this approach or other advice to get me through the next week or so until I have this replaced?

00-bcq-QtRur--oOlLibkYoJFRtmP_OuCRKy1LsBFH9th7YvYiMfqvr-Odb5mFTj5JPUnDnu4gHHWpfyYq5WwzmNg

I have serious doubts about how long that patch job will last.

I would not want to walk off and assume it will work for a day or a couple of days.

I could be wrong, as I have never used Flex Seal tape.

Let us know how it turns out, I may need to go buy some. :mrgreen:

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: PoolStored
Thanks All, yeah, didnt hold long. Will see if my local pool stores are open. The other issue I am going to face is trying to get the broken part that is screwed into filter casing out. It snapped at the opening to the filter case so nothing to grab to unscrew. May have to call in a pro, or maybe I can try a screw extractor. . For now have drained everything, so hope no harm done.

Last edited:
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.