Pump Filter Basket Not Filling - Reduced Pressure [SOLVED] - Valve

Jun 9, 2013
Laguna Niguel, CA
Pool Size
Surface
Plaster
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hi, looking for some possible considerations/options before I call in a pro. Replaced pool heater a week ago - may be a coincidence but now, a week or so, later, I have lost pressure when running the pump. The filter release valve does not "spray" water as far, if at all. Pump basket is not filling. Zodiac vacuum from the skimmer inlet not working. The pump basket does fill up when I turn the pump off though. I think it's the pool inlet as my troubleshooting reveals:

Spa inlet + Spa return = Pressure
Spa inlet + Pool return = Pressure
Pool inlet + spar return = low pressure
Pool inlet + pool return = low pressure

Cleaned filters and gasket
Cleaned pump basket lid and gasket

Anyway, hoping for suggestions on possible cause(s), resolution.
? Blockage? Break?

Thank you!

The easy ones are low water level or a stuck skimmer weir door.

After that, check suction side valves to be sure they are moving properly.

Bill,

How about showing us some pics of your equipment pad and the suction side of your pump...

Have you been vacuuming a bunch of leaves through your skimmer port?

The first thing I would try is to use a Drain King, and force water from the pump backwards into the skimmer.. Often switching the Drain King back and forth between the pump and the skimmer will finally push any clog out.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Photo attached - bit of a mess. its possible a few leaves get in directly through the skimmer but the vacuum has a leaf catch in line. I'll try the drain king, but will it still be effective with multiple turns and valves in the way?

Is it safe to run the pump to at least move some water through?

IMG_20200621_134542 - 2.jpg

You have separate lines from the skimmer and main drain. It would be very unlikely that both would be compromised at the same time. You can push water back from the pump if you like to test that.

No change what so ever at what ever setting the pool side suction valve is set? Correct?

Bill,

I agree with Marty.. I would take the top off of both valves and make sure nothing is in the lines..

I would also check to make sure that there is nothing stuck in the impeller.. Assuming you have a raised spa, it would not take as much suction to get water flow from the spa vs the skimmer/main drain lines.

A Drain King is a bladder that you hook to your garden hose.. It allows you to force water into a pipe, so it does not matter how many bends or fittings there are.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
@mknauss, @Jimrahbe No change whatsoever. When experimenting again, noticed the valve was not switching all the way back to skimmer from master drain. A little fiddling and it went - now I have an almost full pump basket, and enough pressure to move the vac. Probably need a new valve but at least its running until I can get someone in. Thank you both!

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Great! You can just replace the internals of those valves. Really easy to do. Check Inyopools as they carry the internals.

Call them tomorrow to check what you need. Your valve appears to have a grease port and I think it is the gray one. But check with them.

Reactions: Billy_McSkintos
Final post to close this out and in case this helps someone else. After ordering a $20 diverter from Amazon, I opened the valves and swapped it out, along with the gaskets (with a little grease). Also found a lego man and squishy pool ball. No more air in the pump basket and pressure is back to normal. Incidentally, I also replaced the aging pressure gauge on the filter. Not sure that had any effect but at least I can read it now. Thank you for all suggestions - much appreciated and saved me dollars.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.