JulieVa

May 31, 2022
Yorktown, Virginia
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
Hello! Wow, this is my third post in one week. Things aren’t going so well. I’m still SLAMMING a week later so my pump has been running 24/7. Yesterday I cleaned out the pump basket. I believe I didn’t prime the pump enough when I turned it back on. I thought I did because I had air bubbles coming out like normal and thought the return lines were working properly. Long story short, i think the pump may have run dry for a bit because I came back a short time later (I honestly can’t remember how long) and I had to re-prime it because the jets weren’t flowing.

Last night when I went to do my OCLT test I noticed the pump was off. The breaker was fine. If I manually switched the pump on/off it did nothing. I had to wait until the timer shut off at 9 pm. Then I turned the timer back on to run all night, and manually flipped the pump switch off/on. It turned on and ran all night (at least it was on this morning so could have been intermittent?)

This morning around 9 I noticed it was off again. I had to do the same thing with the timer - on/off, then pump off/on. It did it again a few hours later. There is a slight burning smell around the pump area but could be from the AC?

I feel like I might have killed the pump by not having it fully primed. Or running it 24/7 hasn’t helped.

It’s a Hayward 1 HP super pump. Model number SP2607X10. The previous owners’s paperwork says it was replaced in 2014.

Any ideas? I’m new to TFP and basically a pool newbie. Thanks!

Attachments

• B40141DC-99C7-4405-9DC9-CD2275AED603.jpeg
    B40141DC-99C7-4405-9DC9-CD2275AED603.jpeg
    606 KB · Views: 14
More pics of the actual motor model info . Nothing is leaking. It turns on fine now at the switch but I’ll see how long it lasts. The motor was REALLY hot when I touched it right now but it’s been off for about 45 min at least.

Attachments

• F6EB6C46-C1BD-4819-8906-D1602D24F87B.jpeg
    F6EB6C46-C1BD-4819-8906-D1602D24F87B.jpeg
    299.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 2E0320BF-2043-461A-9587-9AE606BB402B.jpeg
    2E0320BF-2043-461A-9587-9AE606BB402B.jpeg
    499.8 KB · Views: 10
Julie, you have me curious about the timer you reference. Perhaps it's related to that? You might try to post a pic or two of that timer. However the smell you are observing would seem to be from the pump motor itself.

I run my motor 24/7, but I have a 2-speed and it's always on the low setting. I think that your single speed (energy hog) pump may be showing signs of failure. It may or may not be linked to the time it ran dry, but 8 years is still a pretty good run for a motor. There are many more suitable pumps by today's standards, so you might need to consider shopping for a replacement. If the timer is ruled-out as the problem, hopefully this one will limp along until you can swap it out.

Here's a replacement for $197 should you decide to go that route.

Reactions: xpert66
Thanks! Here is a pic of the timer. I think it’s original to the house (1993).the pump runs based on this timer. I also included the switch for the actual Pump.
If we need a new one, is there a TFP post that outlines how best we research it and install it? My husband is pretty handy but not sure how comfortable he would he with that.

Do pumps differ based on SWG or LC? I’m already contemplating buying a SWG next summer.

Attachments

• F53E313F-C9D4-4C2F-AFE5-92942D03B092.jpeg
    F53E313F-C9D4-4C2F-AFE5-92942D03B092.jpeg
    407.6 KB · Views: 8
  • 5C417873-2DB1-4D26-AE9E-3DDF0E490508.jpeg
    5C417873-2DB1-4D26-AE9E-3DDF0E490508.jpeg
    393.3 KB · Views: 8
Here's a replacement for $197 should you decide to go that route.

Thank you! That looks quite reasonable.

So I guess we could just replace the motor, not the actual pump too? They are separate items that can be changed out? I had “pump” as burnt out but I suppose it’s the motor. I imagine we need to diagnose this somehow as to what the problem is.

The motor was replaced about 6 years ago.

It might be too small for the pump depending on the impeller.

The label is turning brown which indicates a lot of heat in that area.

What is the model number of the pump?

Can you show this label?

1654801749710.png

The motor was replaced about 6 years ago.

It might be too small for the pump depending on the impeller.

The label is turning brown which indicates a lot of heat in that area.

What is the model number of the pump?

Can you show this label?

View attachment 421435
I tried to get a photo of that but it’s mostly bleached out. But here it is!

Attachments

• F2F71AA9-334C-4BE2-BC0E-C8B4CB920FE8.jpeg
    F2F71AA9-334C-4BE2-BC0E-C8B4CB920FE8.jpeg
    438.4 KB · Views: 13

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Here are a couple of ifs.
If your timer is bad fix it you are off to the races.
If your motor is bad and you plan on living there for a more than 2 years upgrade motor to a variable speed. Since your pump is not leaking your pump is probably OK. I would never purchase a single speed or two speed unless i was gonna move.

You will save money with your reduced electrical consumption and it will be much quieter.

Here are a couple of ifs.
If your timer is bad fix it you are off to the races.
If your motor is bad and you plan on living there for a more than 2 years upgrade motor to a variable speed. Since your pump is not leaking your pump is probably OK. I would never purchase a single speed or two speed unless i was gonna move.

You will save money with your reduced electrical consumption and it will be much quieter.
Yes we’ll be here for 6-10 more years (hopefully, or until I tire of this pool and sell it!). If we upgrade to a SWG next year will this purchase affect that? I haven’t even looked into the SWG yet, as I haven’t even completed my first SLAM so I don’t know how I’ll feel about using LC all summer. But I would Ike to keep Ryan option open. I think it would be dumb to spend tons of money on a variable speed if I only have to rip it out in 1-2 years for a SWG.
These are questions for later but how do you know how to run your pump? Does the variable speed just do its own thing or do I set it?
Should I turn off the pump now? Will the motor just stop or can it cause a fire? I don’t want that!

If we need a new one, is there a TFP post that outlines how best we research it and install it? My husband is pretty handy but not sure how comfortable he would he with that.
Disconnect all power to the pump first. There's probably a metal plate covering an area where the wires go in. Take that plate off. Take a picture so you can see how everything was hooked up. Disconnect the wires.

There are probably 4 bolts holding the motor to the pump. Take those loose and pull them apart. Then remove the impeller from the shaft of the motor. It may have something like a clip holding it on or it may just spin off. You'll probably be able to tell once you see it.

Put the impeller on the new motor shaft and bolt it back to the pump. Be sure to replace any o-rings or gaskets they may have sent you with the motor. Spin the shaft that comes out the opposite end of the motor just to make sure everything is turning freely. It may be covered with a plastic cap that you'll have to pull off.

Hook the wires back up the same way they were hooked up to the old motor. Then turn it on for just a second and make sure it runs before you hook it back to the plumbing.

That's really about all there is to it. I'm sure there are YouTube videos that you can watch as well for your specific motor and pump.

There is no difference between pumps for saltwater and non saltwater pools. So if you decide to add an SWG next year, you'll be good to go.

I don't have a variable speed pump so I can't speak to that. I do know that they consume less power, but they are also more expensive up front.

Reactions: JulieVa
I suspect you have a timer problem as TexasSplash eluded to. In the mean time until you determine that it is not timer, turn on the pump and leave it on. Put a fan on the motor and put something above it like an umbrella to shade it from the sun. If it trips out due to overheating with the fan and sunshade then you are experiencing an internal motor failure do to heat.

The smaller variable speed replacement motors will work with your pump and future swg. Your existing motor is a 1.1 total horse power motor. Do a search in this website to determine a replacement VS motor if you need or want to.

Reactions: JulieVa
I suspect you have a timer problem as TexasSplash eluded to. In the mean time until you determine that it is not timer, turn on the pump and leave it on. Put a fan on the motor and put something above it like an umbrella to shade it from the sun. If it trips out due to overheating with the fan and sunshade then you are experiencing an internal motor failure do to heat.

The smaller variable speed replacement motors will work with your pump and future swg. Your existing motor is a 1.1 total horse power motor. Do a search in this website to determine a replacement VS motor if you need or want to.
Thanks! Will do this and some research too!

The smaller variable speed replacement motors will work with your pump and future swg. Your existing motor is a 1.1 total horse power motor. Do a search in this website to determine a replacement VS motor if you need or want
Disconnect all power to the pump first. There's probably a metal plate covering an area where the wires go in. Take that plate off. Take a picture so you can see how everything was hooked up. Disconnect the wires.

There are probably 4 bolts holding the motor to the pump. Take those loose and pull them apart. Then remove the impeller from the shaft of the motor. It may have something like a clip holding it on or it may just spin off. You'll probably be able to tell once you see it.

Put the impeller on the new motor shaft and bolt it back to the pump. Be sure to replace any o-rings or gaskets they may have sent you with the motor. Spin the shaft that comes out the opposite end of the motor just to make sure everything is turning freely. It may be covered with a plastic cap that you'll have to pull off.

Hook the wires back up the same way they were hooked up to the old motor. Then turn it on for just a second and make sure it runs before you hook it back to the plumbing.

That's really about all there is to it. I'm sure there are YouTube videos that you can watch as well for your specific motor and pump.
thanks! That sounds doable!

So I have been working on researching pump motors to replace our single speed 1HP UST1102 motor for our Hayward 1 HP super pump. Model number SP2607X10, as noted above. I know I still need to figure out if we have 115 or 230 volt wiring - hoping the husband can help out with that soon. Also need to figure out about 2" or 1.5" plumbing (or does that really matter?). We have decided a VS motor will be our way forward for the cost savings over time.

However, after trying to research the TFP site and google, the only motor I keep coming across is the V-Green 1.65 HP Round Flange 56J VS Motor - ECM16CU motor. Are there other options that we can/need to consider? Is this a good candidate? I hate to only consider one option (at $600) but if that is the only VS motor that we'll be able to easily swap out, then I guess the decision is pretty easy. I have read some TFP owners use this motor, but I guess I just don't know if there are other VS options.

Thanks!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.