Pump Failing

I am not sure how to protect from lightning coming in through the ground or bond. I have seen many spas damaged by it, though. It's the only thing that takes out everything electronic. I have seen it covered by insurance almost every time, and there are usually electronics in the house damaged as well.
Problem is my deductible is probably ~2K so insurance isn't going to help. In theory (and I might be saying something you know so apologies if so..) the Protector should either "clamp down" or get destroyed. Either way not allowing the spike to go through. Thats the theory.. can't say I know it worked for sure (and I am not an electrician so...)

Hey -- I have a two speed pump. AquaPlus is my automation system and it runs the pump at high speed for two minutes or so to get prime, then back to low speed as desired. It also automatically increases speed for when my heater turns on. Finally, my understanding of Surge protectors is that they are not good for lightning. I don't know how many things can protect equipment from a few million volts
I will check Aquaplus as well.. thanks...
(duplicated from my other reply... In theory (and I might be saying something you know so apologies if so..) the Protector should either "clamp down" or get destroyed. Either way not allowing the spike to go through. Thats the theory.. can't say I know it worked for sure (and I am not an electrician so...))... I guess if it isn't fast enough game over.

Hey -- I have a two speed pump. AquaPlus is my automation system and it runs the pump at high speed for two minutes or so to get prime, then back to low speed as desired. It also automatically increases speed for when my heater turns on. Finally, my understanding of Surge protectors is that they are not good for lightning. I don't know how many things can protect equipment from a few million volts
It hit something close 3 years ago and I was laying on my stomach touching up our frig and it was so loud I think I belly jumped 2' off the ground :)
We didn't get much damage but it blew one neighbors AT&T outside box off the wall literally ..Comcast almost replaced every piece of underground coax over a few months

Problem is my deductible is probably ~2K so insurance isn't going to help. In theory (and I might be saying something you know so apologies if so..) the Protector should either "clamp down" or get destroyed. Either way not allowing the spike to go through. Thats the theory.. can't say I know it worked for sure (and I am not an electrician so...)
Which should protect you if it hits a transformer or wire, but I am not so sure if it hits your neighbor's tree. And yes, I have seen that happen to a portable spa. New circuit board, topside, and one of 2 pumps (the one that was running for filtration). But he didn't have a surge protector. It also took out his 3 flatscreens, microwave, and a few others I don't recall. Insurance covered it all. The tree was blown to pieces, literally.

Reactions: eco-help
From my research I was under the impression that the skimmer does not qualify as a second drain because it is essentially designed to clog up with floating debris. Lack of routine maintenence can create what is effectively a single drain condition. Unlikely, but that seems to be the interpretation from every source I could find.
But again, that is only enforced on commercial pools, and seems to be a gray area open to interpretation.
But we are seriously sidetracking this thread with an industry topic. I just sought to clear up a small misunderstanding about drain covers and svrs pumps. I suggest we return the focus to the OP's issue and move our compliance discussion to a more appropriate format. Perhaps the "deep end"?
To the OP, you have much more information than you expected to get, I am sure. The final choice is yours. There were no bad options offered here, just a bunch of know-it-alls arguing amongst ourselves. Let us know how it goes. We'll probably argue about that, too. But at least you have heard all sides of the arguement and can make an informed decision.
Best of luck.
To my mind there is nothing in this world too deep. If we need to take it to the deep end then game on! (clearly I am not up to speed with all of this, but I am a quick learner)
This is all timely in my mind and maybe I should have titled the thread differently to embrace everything, but at the time I didn't realize.. didn't know what I didn't know.
Now.. specifically regarding the Intelliconnect.. can it control a Hayward SWG and an Aquacal Heatpump? I am about to spend money on a Cell for the SWG so.. like I said this is very timely discussion.
If the way to go is to automation I need to think about that now before spending $$$ on SWG cell.
Do I need to create a new thread? Maybe in the deep end? Whatever it takes.
I very much appreciate this group. I subscribed to the Poolmath app, I need to move to another level on TFP support... you guys have lifetime membership? :) (not saying I can afford that.. this was supposed to be a low budget "replace noisy pump with quiet one" but like with a home when you rip out one thing and make it newer you can't just stop there.. (whole house re-model ensues)

I live in Atlanta and thought about adding an arrester. Like you said zapping a VS pump can be expensive.
We have had a few string storms roll through lately and I unplugged my SWG and Dolphin power supply to be safe
I will check Aquaplus as well.. thanks...
(duplicated from my other reply... In theory (and I might be saying something you know so apologies if so..) the Protector should either "clamp down" or get destroyed. Either way not allowing the spike to go through. Thats the theory.. can't say I know it worked for sure (and I am not an electrician so...))... I guess if it isn't fast enough game over.
This Aquaplus includes a SWG Cell? Maybe instead of buying a new cell I move to this? Assuming it can control Pentair VS pump and Aquacal Heater

"Gas Heater or Heat Pump
IntelliConnect contains low-voltage dry contacts that can be connected to most gas heaters or heat pumps with 24 VAC control circuits.
IMPORTANT!: If a heater or heat pump is being connected to the IntelliConnect, a single speed pump designated as "Filter Pump" in the Link2O app, or an IntelliFlo pump, MUST also be connected. For instructions on assigning a custom heater speed for an IntelliFlo pump, refer to Setup Page on page 8."

As long as the heat pump can be controlled by a remote two-wire "fireman's switch ", it will work.

The Intelliconnect can only control the Pentair SWG.

However, you can connect it to the load side of the relay so that it only turns on when the pump is on.

So, you won't have full control, but it should be ok.

Do I need to create a new thread?
Hey buddy, it's your thread! We can discuss whatever you want. I was suggesting that those of us sidetracking your pump thread with a bunch of industry technicalities should take it somewhere else so you could get back to your issue. If you want to know, we are all happy to tell you. That's why we spend our free time doing this.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
"Gas Heater or Heat Pump
IntelliConnect contains low-voltage dry contacts that can be connected to most gas heaters or heat pumps with 24 VAC control circuits.
IMPORTANT!: If a heater or heat pump is being connected to the IntelliConnect, a single speed pump designated as "Filter Pump" in the Link2O app, or an IntelliFlo pump, MUST also be connected. For instructions on assigning a custom heater speed for an IntelliFlo pump, refer to Setup Page on page 8."

As long as the heat pump can be controlled by a remote two-wire "fireman's switch ", it will work.

The Intelliconnect can only control the Pentair SWG.

However, you can connect it to the load side of the relay so that it only turns on when the pump is on.

So, you won't have full control, but it should be ok.
I can't say I know the heat pump has a 24VAC control circuit.A fireman's switch I don't know. Its an Aquacal AQ 155 heat pump. I will be connecting to an Intelliflo pump

Aquaplus includes a cell, but it won't communicate with the Intelliflo.

If you want an AquaPlus, get a Hayward Tristar VS pump.
Got it.

The Aquaplus can't control the Pentair Pump and the only other reason I would want the Aquaplus is to dispense chemicals but I hear that isn't a great solution so that I can go on vacation without dealing with anything and could upgrade in steps rather than rip and replace Intelliconnect

Which should protect you if it hits a transformer or wire, but I am not so sure if it hits your neighbor's tree. And yes, I have seen that happen to a portable spa. New circuit board, topside, and one of 2 pumps (the one that was running for filtration). But he didn't have a surge protector. It also took out his 3 flatscreens, microwave, and a few others I don't recall. Insurance covered it all. The tree was blown to pieces, literally.

The problem is my wife's laptop went belly up 2 days later. Hard drive was fried and she lost all her data. I tell folks all the time back important stuff up but few actually do
Was it from the lightning, I have no doubt but proving it to the insurance company is a different story. Weird one was the cable between my network switches went bad, no burned places just died..I am a network engineer and that was a first for me :)

The problem is my wife's laptop went belly up 2 days later. Hard drive was fried and she lost all her data. I tell folks all the time back important stuff up but few actually do
Was it from the lightning, I have no doubt but proving it to the insurance company is a different story. Weird one was the cable between my network switches went bad, no burned places just died..I am a network engineer and that was a first for me :)
Network Engineer (semi-retired) here too.. multiple backups key indeed :) utp went bad? off-topic never mind.

I believe that the heat pump can be controlled by a two wire remote.

So, Intelliconnect or AquaPlus should work.

Verify two wire remote control in the heat pump manual.
1. I guess the difference (to my understanding) is the SWG can report back to the automation if same brand so it can report salt level and level of chlorine generation can be controlled remotely. Cross-brand presumably can be off/on which is ok too.
I was just quoted $2048 for Omnihub @ Hayward Tristar VS 950 pump + the cost of the SWG cell and supposedly that's all I need (not needed to upgrade to the Aquaplus. Does that make sense?

2. I need to dig into this over the weekend. It's a big crossroads I need to get my head around.

3. From my understanding Pentair pumps are the gold standard (agree?), so that leads me to Pentair and then maybe Intellichlor SWG / rip out the Goldline.. I then use the SWG Cell $ savings to help offset some of the cost.
I like to be able to have a big plan which can be implemented in stages (if financially or logistically necessary).. I prefer this strategy than buying one off items that eventually take me down the wrong path and have to be forklifted out.

4. I wish I had considered these things prior to the heat pump purchase too.. I would have bought into one brand only.. maybe...(I hear Aquacal have an SWG too.. but presumably back to square one on cross brand connectivity.)
I really appreciate the brainstorming.. nothing is overload to me I just may need to spend the weekend reading up.. something I love to do when it involves anything computerized :)
Bring it on :)

5. (and yes I know this was a "simple" pump replacement.. I could just as easily have replaced single speed pump with like.. but one thing ("I want more silent pump/energy efficient") leads to another.. ("my wife wants to be able to turn on the heater without asking me or pressing multiple buttons.. and she wants to be able to go on vacation and monitor/control it")... fine with me, I (we) will figure it out..)

6. Thanks again...

1. I guess the difference (to my understanding) is the SWG can report back to the automation if same brand so it can report salt level and level of chlorine generation can be controlled remotely. Cross-brand presumably can be off/on which is ok too.
I was just quoted $2048 for Omnihub @ Hayward Tristar VS 950 pump + the cost of the SWG cell and supposedly that's all I need (not needed to upgrade to the Aquaplus. Does that make sense?

2. I need to dig into this over the weekend. It's a big crossroads I need to get my head around.

3. From my understanding Pentair pumps are the gold standard (agree?), so that leads me to Pentair and then maybe Intellichlor SWG / rip out the Goldline.. I then use the SWG Cell $ savings to help offset some of the cost.
I like to be able to have a big plan which can be implemented in stages (if financially or logistically necessary).. I prefer this strategy than buying one off items that eventually take me down the wrong path and have to be forklifted out.

4. I wish I had considered these things prior to the heat pump purchase too.. I would have bought into one brand only.. maybe...(I hear Aquacal have an SWG too.. but presumably back to square one on cross brand connectivity.)
I really appreciate the brainstorming.. nothing is overload to me I just may need to spend the weekend reading up.. something I love to do when it involves anything computerized :)
Bring it on :)

5. Do I need to get one of the fancy (Pentair etc) GFCI's? Currently direct connect to Sub-Panel

6. (and yes I know this was a "simple" pump replacement.. I could just as easily have replaced single speed pump with like.. but one thing ("I want more silent pump/energy efficient") leads to another.. ("my wife wants to be able to turn on the heater without asking me or pressing multiple buttons.. and she wants to be able to go on vacation and monitor/control it")... fine with me, I (we) will figure it out..)

7. Thanks again...

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.