Pump electricity consumption

James beat me to the LA DWP info.

The company I used even applied for the rebate, they made it really easy, but they seem to be out of business, but other companies might do the same.

Pretty sure I got $1000 rebate which really makes it a no brainer. You have to use a certified installer to get $1000.
That is amazing! Unfortunately I am not in LADWP, I’m Las Virgenes. Doesn’t appear they do any pool rebates.

This thread makes me cringe when I have 6 pumps, none of which are variable speed (3HP, 3HP, 2HP, 2.75HP, 1.5HP, and 1.5HP)... and my monthly electricity costs are really up there when my pool is open. I wonder if it's worthwhile changing out pumps with VSPs, even though there would be big initial up front costs. Might have to try and calculate this somehow...

I turn the pump off, yell at everyone in the house to not turn anything on, go look at the meter's instantaneous watt/kwatt reading, turn the pump on, check again, buy ice cream for everyone I yelled at. Also I can get hourly kW graphs/data from my utility (PG&E) and if I start my pump early in the morning before anyone wakes up that data matches with those instant readings. I can also get this year / last year comparisons and the summer I installed the VSP was way less than the year before. My VSP motor payed for itself that summer.
Love this

I’m in the ‘run my pump 24x7’ crowd. I usually keep it around 1500, which puts me at about 40gpm and 250 watts. If I run it at 3400 it’s over 2500 watts. I think I figured mine is costing around $5/month week.

Last edited:
For comparison, here are some pics showing the energy use of my pump at varied speeds (IntelliFlo 3HP pump). 1500 is about the slowest speed I can run. 1800 RPM is for circulation and I run at 2400 RPM for skimming and to operate the suction cleaner.

1662645301747.png

Reactions: JamesW
Haven’t been able to verify on their website
From a quick search, seems like SCE should be the provider for Agoura Hills.

I checked the SCE website, and couldn't find a rebate for VSPs.

Back when I wanted to change to a VSP, had trouble getting budget approval until I found the DWP rebate. That made approval easy. But that was around 5 years ago, rates have gone up a lot since then so should be easier to justify.
If I remember correctly, SCE rates are very high so payback should pretty fast even without a rebate.

Randy

An easy way to figure out energy consumption is to get a cheap amp clamp from Harbor Freight, about $15 or $20. It will measure your Volts and amps and then do the math to get watts. They are pretty handy. Pull out your old watts triangle equation from high school. The amp clamp can be used on any house hold circuit.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
An easy way to figure out energy consumption is to get a cheap amp clamp from Harbor Freight, about $15 or $20. It will measure your Volts and amps and then do the math to get watts. They are pretty handy. Pull out your old watts triangle equation from high school. The amp clamp can be used on any house hold circuit.
I actually have one of these, haven't used it yet...will definitely try this.

From a quick search, seems like SCE should be the provider for Agoura Hills.

I checked the SCE website, and couldn't find a rebate for VSPs.

Back when I wanted to change to a VSP, had trouble getting budget approval until I found the DWP rebate. That made approval easy. But that was around 5 years ago, rates have gone up a lot since then so should be easier to justify.
If I remember correctly, SCE rates are very high so payback should pretty fast even without a rebate.

Randy
Yep I think I'm about $.25/kWh. I do have solar panels, so I'm trying to crunch the numbers on if it will actually save ME money or just feed more free power back to SCE. :)

Looks like you are at 0.33 $/kw then 0.52 $/kw for high demand (tou plan) or 0.28 $/kw then 0.36 $/kw if tier plan.
You need to take advantage of the VS during the peak times. OUCH!!

Yep I think I'm about $.25/kWh. I do have solar panels, so I'm trying to crunch the numbers on if it will actually save ME money or just feed more free power back to SCE. :)
If you have solar than it gets more complicated. If your panels can power your house and your existing pump during the day, maybe it doesn't make sense to change? Can you tell when you're generating excess power?

If you have solar than it gets more complicated. If your panels can power your house and your existing pump during the day, maybe it doesn't make sense to change? Can you tell when you're generating excess power?
Trying to figure that out now, but believe my panels outproduce my usage during daylight...at least the last couple months.

We have a special billing program for you if you have, or are considering solar and other clean energy generation at your home or business: the Net Energy Metering (NEM 2.0) program.

Simply put, the energy you produce, minus the energy you consume equals net energy.

We’ll deduct the energy you export to the grid at times when generation exceeds on-site demand from your bill, and you may even earn surplus credits for the energy you produce.

But remember, even with solar, you have to be connected to the grid for the times the sun isn’t shining.

You get credit for the energy you send to the grid to be used to offset the amount you use during the period.

The rates are for any net total that you send to the grid.

You get credit for the energy you send to the grid to be used to offset the amount you use during the period.

The rates are for any net total that you send to the grid.

Reading my post now, it's not clear what I was trying to say.

They will pay you 5 cents (little less) for every kwh you generate over what you use. So this only applies if you generate excess energy. Otherwise, like you said, they offset your bill with whatever you produce.

At least that what I understand from reading their webpage, but I could be completely wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.