Pump died. Got a VS and a question about pump height.

Mar 27, 2017
Las Cruces, NM
Hello all,

Recently our 20ish year old single speed 1.5hp pump motor died (Sta Rite p2ra). It had been on its last legs for awhile, so we already decided on replacing it with a VS pump (Pentair 342001) when the inevitable happened. Luckily for us the local power company gives us a rebate for our trouble, and the new pump is already here waiting to be installed.

In any case, I'd like to use the opportunity to also re-plumb our pad. The old PVC piping leaks quite a bit, the diverter valve on the intake between skimmer/main and vacuum line doesn't seal 100% anymore. I'm also going to add a bunch of unions so any future work will be much simpler. I'm replacing the 3 way diverter on the intake (2" pipe from skimmer/main and 1 1/2" pipe from vacuum line with 1 1/2" to the pump) with two two-way jandy style valves, one on each line. All my new plumbing will be 2". I'd like to add some more pipe to each incoming line to raise the valves off the ground a little bit and give me some room to work with, but doing so will certainly raise the level of the pvc on the suction side above the pump intake.

The only article I could find relating to something like this is here: Pool pump not priming? It might be Air Lock...

If that article is accurate, my only option would be to actually raise the pump up on some cinder blocks or bricks. Would that work? I'm only talking about one to two feet or so.

Other info not in my signature:

About 30' between pad and pool. Level ground. As far as I know, piping to the pool matches what's coming out of the ground, which is 2" to skimmer/drain and 1 1/2" to vacuum line with 1 1/2" back to the pool.

Thanks!

There is no problem with raising the pump up off of the pad to give you extra room for the valves.

Although I wonder why you want to switch from a single 3-way suction valve to two 2-way valves? Sounds like my setup is very similar and I used a singe 3-way.

Thanks for the replies.

Jim, to clarify... are you ribbing me for using 1 1/2" vs 1.5", or are you saying the pentair pump has 1.5" hookups? The documentation I read about the pentair says it can be either 1.5" or 2". Either way the unions and valves I bought are 2", so I guess I can use a reducer if I have to. Unless you're just ribbing me, then I probably deserve it. :p

I decided on the two valves vs the one three way valve just because I wanted more visibility and it seemed to leave me more room. Potato Po-tat-o I guess but I also kinda wanted something different than what I had before. I'm like that a lot. Drives my wife nuts.

-Ed

Thanks for the replies.

Jim, to clarify... are you ribbing me for using 1 1/2" vs 1.5", or are you saying the pentair pump has 1.5" hookups? The documentation I read about the pentair says it can be either 1.5" or 2". Either way the unions and valves I bought are 2", so I guess I can use a reducer if I have to. Unless you're just ribbing me, then I probably deserve it. :p

-Ed

Ed, I was not ribbing you.. The Pentair SuperFlo VS is designed to be used with 1.5" plumbing, but can be used with 2" plumbing. The IntelliFlo is designed to be used with 2" plumbing, but can also be used for pools with 1.5" plumbing.

I guess my point was just to make sure you were aware that at some point you will need to step down to the 1.5" for the pump.

The SuperFlo VS comes with unions... I am not sure how these unions work and they may do this for you.. Let us know what you find.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.