Pump buzzes, needs hand turn to start, does not appear to be capacitor issue

Had a couple really busy weeks at work and end of school year stuff with the kids, but started the warranty process with Backyard Pool Superstore on the motor this week.

Then today I started the motor and found a bad leak on the MPV at the drain plug. The MPV is cracked, so just going to take this as motivation to finally take the plunge on a VS pump and a SWCG…. Will update on the warranty process when it’s done.

Reactions: JamesW

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I was kind of curious about the impeller-pump match, so took a close look at the impeller now and boy is that suspicious…. To me it looks like someone intentionally obscured the part number.

:unsure:

Attachments

• IMG_4059.jpeg
    IMG_4059.jpeg
    431.8 KB · Views: 6
Maybe an international gang of impeller thieves selling impellers on the black market.

I had heard rumors about such a thing from one of my contacts in MI6 and I thought that there was no way it could be true, but now it looks like you have confirmed it.

I will put you in contact with a person known as the Red Herring and they will give you instructions about what to do next.

Reactions: csn
The only thing I could figure is whoever installed this wanted to make it difficult for anyone trying to repair it. I guess I could take it to Leslie’s Pool and try and workout the model number.

Going to get some quotes on VS motor, new pump, SWCG this coming week. Meanwhile going to go through the warranty process out of curiosity. My (low) expectation is that the warranty claim will be rejected for any number of reasons. I had the motor on the bench today and it doesn’t start on its own and makes what I consider louder than normal noise when running (guessing a worn bearing). Tonight I research SWCG on TFP…

Reactions: JamesW
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.