Pump Basket low and bubble coming from return jets when off

HARKIN_YYZ

Jul 24, 2023
Toronto
I notice every moring when I go to turn the pool pump on, the pump basket is less than half full, there is also intermitent air bubbles coming fron the return jets. I don't believe I'm losing any water.
I recently changed all the lines, jets, and skimmer which was then pressured tested.
The issue was also happening prior to the change.
I have a sand Hayward filter.....

any insight would be helpful.....

thank you

I notice every moring when I go to turn the pool pump on, the pump basket is less than half full, there is also intermitent air bubbles coming fron the return jets. I don't believe I'm losing any water.
I recently changed all the lines, jets, and skimmer which was then pressured tested.
The issue was also happening prior to the change.
I have a sand Hayward filter.....

any insight would be helpful.....

thank you
A slight air leak will allow the water to drain back to the pool. Since you have no water leak, it is likely you have a slight suction leak. That would account for the intermittent bubbles. Could be a lack of lubrication on the pump-lid O ring. The lid should be opened, the ring removed, lid and pot should be cleaned and a light coating of pool lubricant (not Vaseline) should be on the O ring, enough to make the whole thing shiny. Any excess will do nothing but make a mess.

H,

When you shut the pump off, do you hear anything at the equipment pad??

As 1poolman1 has pointed out, the water in your pump basket should not drain back into the pool. Kind of like when you hold your thumb over the end of a straw, and remove it from the glass of water, the water stays in the straw. Any leak in the suction or pressure side of the system will cause the problem. Normally pressure side leaks will let water out and are easy to spot, but that is not always the case.

Thanks,

Jim R.

A slight air leak will allow the water to drain back to the pool. Since you have no water leak, it is likely you have a slight suction leak. That would account for the intermittent bubbles. Could be a lack of lubrication on the pump-lid O ring. The lid should be opened, the ring removed, lid and pot should be cleaned and a light coating of pool lubricant (not Vaseline) should be on the O ring, enough to make the whole thing shiny. Any excess will do nothing but make a mess.
Thank you. this sounds about right. I don't believe the pump lid O ring was lubricated when the pool was opened. I will try that.

H,

When you shut the pump off, do you hear anything at the equipment pad??

As 1poolman1 has pointed out, the water in your pump basket should not drain back into the pool. Kind of like when you hold your thumb over the end of a straw, and remove it from the glass of water, the water stays in the straw. Any leak in the suction or pressure side of the system will cause the problem. Normally pressure side leaks will let water out and are easy to spot, but that is not always the case.

Thanks,

Jim R.
I do hear an intermittent gurgling sound when the pump is off.. but it doesn't happen immediately... takes 5-10 mins.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.