Puck placement

DOMO

Bronze Supporter
Mar 13, 2013
Rowley, MA
Hi all. Hope everyone is safe out there. Due to the current shortage with bleach availability, I’ve had to resort to trichlor pucks (for now). Our PB installed a chlorine feeder but it seems to not be sending enough chlorine. I have it set to the maximum and yesterday I cleared out a small piece at the bottom of the canister that seemed to be blocking the flow, but no change in chlorine level 24 hrs later. I don’t have a floating chlorine dispenser, and have read that putting pucks in the skimmer is bad for the equipment. But is that only when the system is turned off and the high concentration of chlorinated water builds up in the skimmer? Trying to figure out how to get the chlorine level up via pucks until I can figure out why the feeder isn’t doing it’s job. Thx!

Hi. Yes, CYA is currently low (~60). Here’s the thing, I’ve got a 50 lb bucket of tri-chlor so until I can get back to bleach, I’d prefer to use that.
60 is not low. That's about as high as you want to go with manual chlorination. 50 lbs of trichlor in 10,000 gallons is 333 CYA.

Your pool, you can add what you want. To answer the original question, trichlor is highly acidic so it's better not to have it go straight to the pump and filter. Buy a floater.

Reactions: FirstPoolLastPool
60 is not low. That's about as high as you want to go with manual chlorination. 50 lbs of trichlor in 10,000 gallons is 333 CYA.

Your pool, you can add what you want. To answer the original question, trichlor is highly acidic so it's better not to have it go straight to the pump and filter. Buy a floater.
OK, thanks. I’m hoping I don’t need to use the 50 lbs of trichlor before bleach becomes readily available again. But unfortunately, there’s a financial aspect of this too! It’s possible my CYA is lower than that number as I have never been good at reading the test (a lot of subjectivity with when you can and can no longer see the dot!) But thx I’ll pick up a float until I figure out why the feeder isn’t sending enough chlorine back to the pool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.