Proud new owner of an above-ground SWAMP

Yeah, the pictures don't make it look sparkly, but it certainly looks it in person!

I do believe the drop in FC was from the sun, and not from organics.

Samantha - I don't think I can do a CC test without a better kit. Unfortunately, I am just too broke right now - June is turning into crazy unexpected bill month now. I'm just going to have to limp along with the dipsticks and 6-part Walmart kit. I'll tell you though, I definitely know that it is inferior!

Great. Just hang in there until you can get a good test kit next month. In the meantime, use the kit you have and look closely at the water. If the water starts getting dull or cloudy then be suspicious that something is going on. The good thing is that now you know how to maintain ph, fc, ta, ch, and cya. You also know how to vacuum & shock so you are equipped to maintain a TFP.

And CYA is now reading at 40. Yay!

I vacuumed today because there seemed to be some sort of dirt in the tiny wrinkles on the bottom of the pool. Got most of it, though some just clouded the water for a short bit and then fell back down. Will do some more vacuuming tomorrow. Not sure if this is something I should be worried about - do I need to shock again, or is this really just leftover dirt? It wasn't on the sides of the pool, just on the bottom. My fear is that it is algae, but it's so fine, I don't think so. I don't think my filter is pulling it all out. It's been running 24/7. I wanted to ask how long I should be running it at this point!

Now that I have the CYA at 40, what number should I be trying to maintain the FC at? All day today it was above 5 on my Walmart kit, and the dipstick was saying 5-7.

I still have yet to add any baking soda - doing that tomorrow as well.

You'll be very antsy any time you see any dirt on the floor or any little issue with the water. It'll get better with time.

What you're seeing is most assuredly just dirt. Vacuum it up and be ok with it.

Your new FC level to maintain is going to be between 3 and 5. I'd shoot for 5.

I am no expert by any means, but this helped me...put a nylon knee high on your skimmer basket and it will help trap the smaller particles in the water. You just have to be sure to check it regularly as it can get thick pretty quick! Someone else will have to answer your other questions (or correct me if needed :) ), but I thought I would share this tidbit with you! Enjoy your pool!

How long you should run your pump each day is a difficult question to answer. You want to turn the water over in your pool at least once a day. So you need to run it long enough for it to pump the number of gallons the pool holds. This requires you to know how many gallons per minute your system runs through the pump and filter. Most of us do not know what this number is so we have to make a guess. Some of the more experience people on this forum can give you an educated guess and perhaps one will. Absent that start with 12 hours and note how the water looks then begin cutting the time down and watch for a change in the water's appearance. When it begins to look a little dull increase the time again and see if that helps the appearance. It does you know the minimum time.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.