Proposed 2-speed wall switch wiring...good to go?

borjis

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 19, 2014
Pacific NW
The existing single speed 1.5 hp pump motor is now starting to make bearing noise. I was waiting for it to happen as an
excuse to replace it with a 2-speed and the day has arrived.

I have an ao smith/century STS1152R 2-speed motor arriving monday.
I've researched various threads focusing on a setup that allows me to
change the hi or low speed with an appropriately rated SPDT wall switch.
I prefer this to a toggle switch on the back of the motor, which for this motor
is sold separately.

If anyone who is experienced or done this before, comments are most appreciated.
I am not an electrician but VERY familiar with proper wiring and safety procedures,
having replaced all outlets (a few gfi too) and switches in my homes past & present.
I am highly confident but would appreciate confirmation of my proposal.

Here's the switch I'm going to use and the schematic I made based on
reading here.

20 amp/ 270v rated SPDT wall switch:

This is the correct switch right? No safety issues?
This way the motor cannot accidentally energize both windings, as I read on a post by our own hydraulics guru, mas985.

And the wiring schematic:
2-speed.png

Attachments

• 2-speed.png
    2-speed.png
    5.9 KB · Views: 9
Last edited:
B,

If I understand your diagram correctly, the 240 volts comes from your circuit breaker panel into your Intermatic timer which controls both L1 and L2..

When the timer kicks on, it sends L2 to the Common connection on the pump, and L1 to the Switch. If the switch is in the high speed position, then L1 is sent to the High speed connection of the pump. If the switch is in the Low speed position, then L1 will be routed to the Low speed connection on the pump.

Sounds ok to me...

Just make sure that the timer is a 240 timer that turns off both L1 and L2 when the pump is off.

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thank you Jim, yes your description is exactly what I have in mind. I have updated the schematic to reflect the intermatic timer is model: T104R201 - does this one kill both Legs when it kicks off?
It has been in place since I had the heater replaced. Both installed by the pool co in 2017.
The existing pump motor & heater are both wired 220 to the timer. the timer has the optional fireman switch. It shuts off the heater for some minutes before the pump timer kicks into off position.

Last edited:
B,

The T104 is a DPST timer that controls both sides (L1 and L2) of the 240 line.

I believe that the R201 part turns off the heater's fireman's switch, before shutting off the pump. This allows the heater to cool down before the pump shuts off..

Thanks,

Jim R.

Reactions: borjis
Excellent, so it sounds like I'm good to go!
Looking forward to the savings benefit. I plan on running the pump on Low speed for
regular filtering, then using the High speed only for when it needs to be heated.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.