Proper water level

bvgas

Jul 6, 2015
Kings Point/NY
I'm in the process of having my pool renovated. They installed a 6" band of tile on top & just marble dusted. I filled the pool to a point approx 2/3 up the tiles as instructed. I noticed the water level has since dropped to maybe 1" up the tile just above the end of the marble dust.

I's like to know what is considered the "proper" water level relative to the tile and/or skimmer considered? Which factor determines the water level - skimmer or tile (Would assume skimmer but aesthetically would also assume there should be a proper height relative to the tile)

Thanks
for the help

The skimmer is the key item. You want optimum water flow into the skimmer, which is usually just about half way up the mouth of the skimmer. Too low and floating items may drag the bottom and not flow in. Too high and items may hit the tp and not flow in.

Ok. - What about what is considered "visually" correct in relation to a 6" tile. If the tile band starts just beneath the coping & the water level was at the halfway point of the mouth of the skimmer "ideally" where should this fall in relation to the tiles? Thanks

On my pool, with the water line at the halfway point of the skimmer mouth, there is a grout line separating the top and bottom set of tiles.

When the water starts to show that line, I know I need to top off my pool now / within a few days.
I also know that I will get vortexing and loss of prime if it goes 2 inches below that grout line.

just see where the water line is, relative to your tile, when the skimmer has water up to its mid section.

Is there a pattern on your tile that you can use?

As Tim says the skimmer is the determining factor. There has to be enough water for the skimmer to operate property. In the industry the idea is to have that point be the midpoint of the tile line. Your pool may be different.

In my pool, my overflow line is just slightly above the midpoint of my tile line.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.