Proper pipe fittings for my repair

Jul 31, 2014
Toledo, Ohio
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
The pipe on the left goes to my pool inlet fitting, and looks like ABS. The pipe on the right is 1-1/2" ABS back to my pump. The white fitting has broken (MIP on left to barb fitting inside pipe on right). I'm going to have to cut the ABS on the right at least 2 inches to get past the broken barbed piece. What is the best way to reattach these two pipes?

Attachments

• IMG_3276.JPEG
    IMG_3276.JPEG
    602.2 KB · Views: 41
Pipe on the right looks like black flexible. Some careful heat gun application to help loosen things up and a little creativity you can get that fitting out.

The pipe on the left goes to my pool inlet fitting, and looks like ABS. The pipe on the right is 1-1/2" ABS back to my pump. The white fitting has broken (MIP on left to barb fitting inside pipe on right). I'm going to have to cut the ABS on the right at least 2 inches to get past the broken barbed piece. What is the best way to reattach these two pipes?
Looks more like black polyethylene pipe, especially as a pipe clamp was used. Need to see into fitting on the left.

This is why I like plumbing. I've never worked on similar for pools but I've played with a few miles worth of sprinkler connections. :)

You need a 1.5 inch npt to 1 inch barb. (Providing the guesstimated sizes are correct)

It was a perfect fit but the poly pipe may need to be cut back and spliced. The Home center stores suck by me for sprinkler connections, especially the rarer ones. A plumbing supply is a better bet to have something only the pros need regularly. Or MacGyver 2 or 3 fittings at HD which will also solve the need to be a tight fit, bridging the gap once you cut back a little of the poly for the new clearance.

I've had better luck connecting the barbed side first, and then screwing it on the threaded side, clamping the barbed side after. You want the barbed side nice and seated though, be careful not to pull it out while tightening the threaded side.

Yup. There is an untold number of ways to adapt the two with what's available.

Can you dig back any ? You could likely cut the threaded part out and just splice in a regular coupler there. Then use the patch PVC pipe and slip on / barbed fitting.

Speaking of, digging the poly pipe back 3 feet will give it alot of play as you're wrestling the barb in. If you can't dig back, it's still doable but will cost you the skin on 3 knuckles and 8 adult words at moderate volume.

Reactions: BMerrill
Yup. There is an untold number of ways to adapt the two with what's available.

Can you dig back any ? You could likely cut the threaded part out and just splice in a regular coupler there. Then use the patch PVC pipe and slip on / barbed fitting.

Speaking of, digging the poly pipe back 3 feet will give it alot of play as you're wrestling the barb in. If you can't dig back, it's still doable but will cost you the skin on 3 knuckles and 8 adult words at moderate volume.
Yes, I can dig it back quite a ways if I want. The very end of the poly is ragged and a little damaged, so I'm hoping I can cut the poly back and use the adapters that I talked about.

Reactions: Newdude

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, I can dig it back quite a ways if I want
The further you go, the easier it is to bow the poly pipe to fit the barbed end in, without kinking the pipe at least. 3 foot would help a bunch. 5 foot would be even better.

Dish soap on both the barb and inside the pipe will also help some. Being cool in Toledo, a hair dryer will make the end of the pipe more pliable. It doesn't take much for them to constrict up tight. I was replacing lines in 85 degrees and they went in like butter. 65 is a fight.

Reactions: DivingIn
The further you go, the easier it is to bow the poly pipe to fit the barbed end in, without kinking the pipe at least. 3 foot would help a bunch. 5 foot would be even better.

Dish soap on both the barb and inside the pipe will also help some. Being cool in Toledo, a hair dryer will make the end of the pipe more pliable. It doesn't take much for them to constrict up tight. I was replacing lines in 85 degrees and they went in like butter. 65 is a fight.
Instead of a barbed insert fitting, could I use a Fernco type fitting over both the black poly and the PVC pipe? Or a union?

Ferncos are terrible ideas above ground for pressure lines, and even worse ideas below ground. They are a guaranteed leak/flood waiting to happen.

In theory unions would work on the PVC side but not the poly side. And there is no benefit to using a union that will never be used once the ground is sealed up. The gluing is the same whether its a PVC coupling or union. If memory serves, the cheap unions fail in the dirt and the good ones don't, but again, why even use them in the first place?

I have 6 ft of the poly loose, but it is so stiff that I don't see how I can make room for the barbed insert fitting to work. My plan now is to cut the poly back so it is not under the concrete but instead under the grass. Then I will bring PVC to that spot, put a barb x PVC fitting on the poly, and use a PVC union to make the joint, so I don't need any slack at all. I have used a union above ground for years with no failure. What does everyone think of putting a union underground?

I have 6 ft of the poly loose, but it is so stiff that I don't see how I can make room for the barbed insert fitting to work.
Take the end of the poly and move it to either side by about 4 inches. The barb fitting can be now be hammered in (gently). Then the whole pipe gets a slight bow so that the threaded end can start to sink itself. It won't take much flex to make up the little clearance needed. Then tighten away and clamp the poly.

Take the end of the poly and move it to either side by about 4 inches. The barb fitting can be now be hammered in (gently). Then the whole pipe gets a slight bow so that the threaded end can start to sink itself. It won't take much flex to make up the little clearance needed. Then tighten away and clamp the poly.
When I try that, the fitting is angled and the threads won't start.

When I try that, the fitting is angled and the threads won't start
It takes some patience and bending to line up square. What about securing the threaded end and then bowing the poly onto it. That side may be more forgiving.

It takes some patience and bending to line up square. What about securing the threaded end and then bowing the poly onto it. That side may be more forgiving.
The threaded end is completely fixed - it goes into my pool. I have the poly end dug out for 6 feet. I don't see any way to make it square. I'm probably going to cut the poly and use pvc, and then a union so I don't need any bending.

The threaded end is completely fixed - it goes into my pool.
Yes. Attach the threaded side of the fitting leaving the barb exposed. Then try to route the poly onto the barb. (y)

(Hopefully) these things can be stubborn sometimes.

Plan C if that doesn't work is to cut back and add a second splice.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.