Propane heater first use?

cjhud32

Sep 8, 2022
Sarasota, FL
Gas line has been ran to my Pentair heater finally and they said it's ready to go. This is going to be a dumb question, but is there anything I need to do in order to use it? I have the ScreenLogic app, is it as simple as going to either "pool" or "spa" and turning the heater "on". And if so, how do I set and regulate the temperature? Sorry for such a dumb question but my pool builder never showed me anything.

If the heater is not connected to any automation then you use the temperature setting on the heater control panel.

Did anyone purge air on the gas line into the heater? If not it may take 20 or more tries at lighting the heater until the air is purged from the line and gas gets to the ags valve.

Propane heaters only try one start sequence before they throw an Ignition Fault error. NG heaters do 3 tries. So a NG heater will purge air with less start cycles then a propane heater.

If the heater is not connected to any automation then you use the temperature setting on the heater control panel.

Did anyone purge air on the gas line into the heater? If not it may take 20 or more tries at lighting the heater until the air is purged from the line and gas gets to the ags valve.

Propane heaters only try one start sequence before they throw an Ignition Fault error. NG heaters do 3 tries. So a NG heater will purge air with less start cycles then a propane heater.
Pretty sure it is connected to the automation based on the app. I attached the pic. As far as purging the air, nope. Gas company came and did their thing. Haven’t heard from the pool building in weeks. It was the final step of the pool build I guess. 4BF66319-E247-4160-8DE0-68DB4D5F40AB.png

First time you turn on heater with the app and set the desired pool temperature greater then the water temperature. Then go out to heater and if the heater is not on press SPA and increase the temperature on the heater control panel to 104. Then never touch the heater control panel. Leave it in SPA and 104 and you control the heater and desired temperature from the EasyTouch.

BTW "Pentair I-Chlor 40 Salt-Water Pool Chlorination & Sanitation System." there is no I-Chlor 40. You either have an IntelliChlor IC40 SWG or an iChlor30 SWG.

First time you turn on heater with the app and set the desired pool temperature greater then the water temperature. Then go out to heater and if the heater is not on press SPA and increase the temperature on the heater control panel to 104. Then never touch the heater control panel. Leave it in SPA and 104 and you control the heater and desired temperature from the EasyTouch.

BTW "Pentair I-Chlor 40 Salt-Water Pool Chlorination & Sanitation System." there is no I-Chlor 40. You either have an IntelliChlor IC40 SWG or an iChlor30 SWG.
Followed your advice and when I went out to the heater control panel there was nothing illuminated. When I pressed the spa button, still the same … like it was not on. Any suggestions?

Followed your advice and when I went out to the heater control panel there was nothing illuminated. When I pressed the spa button, still the same … like it was not on. Any suggestions?

Either the heater is not properly enabled in the EasyTouch or it is not properly wired to the EasyTouch.

Do you have a six button keypad or a five button keypad on the heater?

Pentair_MasterTemp_Keypads.jpg

You should have your Pool Builder get your heater started and show you how it is controlled with your EasyTouch.

Do you have the heater installation manual?

Do you have a multimeter?

Confirm the CB feeding the heater power is ON.

Open the panels and see if the heater is wired for 120V or 240V.

Determine if the heater is wired to the EasyTouch for control through the 2 wire firemans switch or the RS-485 data comm line.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.