Prolonging Life of Cell ???

Jul 17, 2009
Too cold to swim in the Winter, so every year I turn off my SWG, and add liquid chorine here and there. But when I open the pool in the spring, the cell plates still have white mineral crud stuck to it and needs to be cleaned (water from the hose, soak in dilute acid, etc.). This buildup on the cell plates occurs despite the system being turned off for several months.

Question: If I remove the cell from the plumbing for the winter, and then put the cell back in place 6 months later when I want to run the SWG, will this help prolong the life of the cell?

(I replace the cell with that interposition pipe they sell)

If it is scaling during that time then absolutely. Removing will prevent you from having to clean it aggressively which can shorten it’s life.
Anytime you must clean the cell Do your best to carefully remove the scale with a popsicle stick or credit card before resorting to more aggressive methods like diluted vinegar or acid as those dissolve the coating on the cell that helps make the magic happen for fc production & once it’s gone it’s gone.
Doing your best to maintain the proper csi range will help prevent scale from forming in the 1st place, not just in your cell but also your heater if you have one & your pool’s surfaces.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.