Project in SE PA, bought a foreclosure w A&S pool

Speaking of the water issues, was there a flood or something in the basement where in all the drywall had to be replaced from floor to 3' up? Ever get that tile drain in front of the basement doors cleared out? No offense but this post reminds me of the movie "Money Pit". LOL

Which is exactly why I asked. Usually only reason to take sheet rock to studs is due to water which causes mold. Plus the fact that his backdoor footer is basically level with the outside patio is, I would think, asking for trouble. Seems the water from rainfall puddles in that area (probably due to the clogged tile drain). I do agree though, he's come a long, long way.

Interested to see if Kim’s hypothesis holds water. Very plausible if there was water contact and the type of cover. Otherwise time for a bucket test after opening if you see continued unexplained drops.

And just as important, pics of that basketball court please!! Our 1/3 court has gotten a ton of use over the 10 years since installation.

Reactions: SeaNile31
My hypothesis comes my best friends pool. They cover it when they "close" it to help wiht the leaves and stuff. It was trying to overflow one year her husband put a pump on the cover and forgot about it.....when he remembered the pool was half empty!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
My hypothesis comes my best friends pool. They cover it when they "close" it to help wiht the leaves and stuff. It was trying to overflow one year her husband put a pump on the cover and forgot about it.....when he remembered the pool was half empty!

That happened to me last year. I still had a cheap winter cover that was held in place with aquablocks. Decided to throw the pump on the cover, just like every year. Well, I forgot about it and went to bed. I woke up around 4 in a panic and ran downstairs to unplugged the pump. When I woke back up and looked at the pool, it had dropped a good 2 feet! SMH.

I took the pump off the cover, probably too late but figured why not. Opening scheduled for 4/26. I pulled back some of the cover and there is some sediment on the bottom along with a few leaves but at least the water is pretty clear looking. Of the 60 rubber straps holding the pool cover on about 30 of them need replaced. I'm sure that didn't help the situation at all with stuff getting under the cover and the pump always in contact with the pool water.

The basketball court is awesome. I forget the exact measurements but it's 50' wide and about 78' long. It sounded really good on paper but it's honestly too long for my 48yr old out of shape body. It looks pretty dirty in the pic and the lines are not painted yet.

Attachments

• IMG_2289.jpg
    IMG_2289.jpg
    843 KB · Views: 108
That is sweet! Definitely don’t get an NBA 3-point line! More disappointment. We have the prior college 3-point distance. I’m fine with that!

Awesome, love the b-ball court!

As for the pool and water drop - I also agree I'd guess/assume/hope that the pump was pulling water on. We'll see soon. Not too long before it's pool/party season, hopefully without the quarantine. :(

Slowing adding water from the hose little by little each day. Yesterday I was ready to take the cover off and turn on the heater, now not so much. Calling for a high of 49 tomorrow.

Thinking of attempting to open the pool myself. I can handle taking the cover off, washing it, folding it nicely and putting it away. I'll never get the chemicals right so I'll take a bucket of water to the local pool supply store and add what they recommend. Other than that it'll be remove the plugs from wall and skimmers, prime from the drain at first, remove air from system and then add DE. Think we were being changed $400-500 for opening which included 60 minutes of vacuuming. We are scheduled for April 26th but a few nice days and something tells me I'll be impatient and try to open it myself.

I am 100% positive I'll be back on here within 2hrs if I try to open it myself. There is no way the opening happens without a few issues.

Before you open PLEASE look down at my signature for the best kit out there. TF-100. The money you spend on it will save you SOOOO much money at the pool store. We even have videos on how to do the tests!

Believe it or not this is my 4th pool in the past 13 years (don't ask) and not including the pool I had growing up. I absolutely suck at the water management and dealing with chemicals. I usually walk into the pool supply place, have them test the water and walk out with $300 in chemicals. As of now all I have is a few pounds of power chlorine in the shed.

Believe it or not this is my 4th pool in the past 13 years (don't ask) and not including the pool I had growing up. I absolutely suck at the water management and dealing with chemicals. I usually walk into the pool supply place, have them test the water and walk out with $300 in chemicals. As of now all I have is a few pounds of power chlorine in the shed.

John - 100% recommend the TF-100 mentioned above. It's incredibly easy to use and managing the water is very simple. Read though pool school on here, watch the videos, and just call me with any questions. After opening to a cloudy pool I had everything balanced and crystal clear within 24 hours without any of the pool store junk. You will save lots of money and will wind up with a much better balanced pool overall.

My opening went like this- I had A&S do the first few steps but could've easily done it on my own, although the cover is a PITA due to it's size and not having help:

-Remove cover, and winterization stuff in the skimmers, install baskets
-Install plugs in pump and heater
-Remove plugs in return lines in pool and put in eyelets
-Install salt cell
-Bleed air / prime pumps while in recirculate
-Turn filter on (multiport valve) and add DE
-Brush walls
-Drop in robot to vacuum pool (had to do this 4x or so to get it clean)
-Test PH/FC levels
-Added acid until ph level was in acceptable range (took me almost 3 gallons)
-Added liquid chlorine to bring it just under SLAM levels to clear up any junk (for me this was FC level of about 15)
-Measured for TA, CH, CYA
-Added baking soda to bring TA up slightly to 70-80 range

From there on I've been in maintenance mode....
Yesterday added a bunch of salt to bring the levels to "normal"......

Last edited:
Reactions: bmoreswim
I am going to guess you tried to use "guess" strips or such on your other pools.

If you get a GOOD test kit like TF-100 or Taylor 2006C (NOT 2005 and note the C as it has more regents) you can master your pool care using stuff you can buy from Lowes or Walmart!! Look in my siggy below to see the recommended chemicals. Nat stuff huh? Baking soda??? OH yeah!!! Cheap and it works!!!

$300 for one trip??? HA!!!! That is about all I spend for the WHOLE SUMMER!!!!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.