Progress but slow as molasses!

Nov 22, 2022
Conway, SC
The process of building is so frustrating just a complete lack of communication… Going on 4 weeks now since decking was laid still waiting on plaster. Plaster was supposed to be done last week but they “discovered” at 5pm the day before they didn’t have enough 👎. So hopefully Monday after Thanksgiving but I’m not holding my breath! Just needing plaster, finish waterfall and powering up the equipment… Started Aug 22nd

85B018C0-12FA-44AF-8379-7F05496E0939.jpeg

Reactions: Newdude and Lanzz
Good things come to those who wait right?
If you started August 22nd of this year you’re doing great 👍🏻 3 months isn’t too shabby considering the delays most are having.
What’s the orange stuff?
I assume they will need to clean that out before plastering?

Ooh, I caught one in time! Given the shape of your pool, it'll be relatively easy to calculate its volume. But to double check...

Keep a close eye on the plasterers, because they'll start your fill the minute they finish. Just before they do, go take a picture of your city's water meter. Minimize water use in the house and yard (showers, toilet flushes, laundry, dishwasher, sprinklers, irrigation, etc). When the water level makes it halfway up the skimmer opening, turn off the fill and take another snap of the water meter. The difference between those two numbers will be your pool's volume, give or take a percentage point or two. The less water you use during the fill, the more accurate will be your number.

Last edited:
Been doing some reading here as I’m going through a build and I’ve noticed I don’t have an expansion joint that runs parallel to the pool (so none between pool edge and decking),it’s continuous. Seems like that’s not right? Am I missing something 30B3329C-6A1A-44A7-99D5-28F9BFE656DB.jpeg

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yes, you need an expansion joint. Perhaps the pool builder plans to cut one into the deck? I'm not sure how well that would work; you should ask the builder before any more construction takes place.

This site wants to sell you products, but has a concise explanation of why you need to provide expansion.

EDIT: See better answers below from @JoyfulNoise and @ajw22.

Last edited:
Reactions: SCPoolParadise
You have what is called a “cantilevered deck”, ie, the deck extends to the pool edge and is the “coping” around the pool. As long as a bond breaker was placed so that the deck can slide freely over the bond beam, it will be fine. See here -

You have what is called a “cantilevered deck”, ie, the deck extends to the pool edge and is the “coping” around the pool. As long as a bond breaker was placed so that the deck can slide freely over the bond beam, it will be fine. See here -

The decking is also used as the coping which is placed in one continuous pour to create a seamless looking deck. Prior to pouring the deck, the level of the grade should be brought up to become level with the top of the bond beam and be very well compacted.

A “decoupling” expansion joint should extend across the entire width of the top of the bond beam to allow the deck to move independent of the pool shell. This joint can be created with a 4mm plastic sheet or 2 layers of roofing felt underlayment.

It is very important that the waterline tile is installed after the deck is placed so there is no chance of the deck expanding and popping off the tile (see tile placement in the diagram). The tile can be grouted as usual but the top joint between the deck and tile should be filled with a flexible sealant that is not silicone based.

Cantilevered_Coping.png

Thanks all for you knowledge! I try to trust my PB but always go by the saying “Trust but verify” :) Looks like while I was gone last week they finished the plumbing (for the most part). I may snap a pic and see if you all have any recommendations on their layout or if I should push on getting anything changed… So much to learn but happy to have found a place to get help and help others!

Reactions: kimkats and JamesW
What is the concrete going to contact at the bottom of the picture that’s out of view?
Also, are the bricks on the left side for a water feature and if so are they laying on top of the deck or is the deck poured around them?
at the bottom is my existing porch to my house (screened in mostly). Bricks on the left are for the water feature they are ssssllloooowwwllllyyyy building, they laying there not poured around them.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.