Programing Jandy AquaLink for Solar, Heat Pump and Gas Heater

WardL

Apr 2, 2015
Camarillo, CA
I recently installed a solar heater system to my pool. I have a question about the using the three heating systems when heating the spa or pool. Before solar, the heat pump was enabled as the priority heater. Both the heat pump and gas heater would come on together to heat the spa. Once hot, the heat pump would keep it hot. I never want to ues my heat pump or gas heater to heat the pool. I want to only use solar heat to heat the pool. I’ve enabled "solar priority” to heat the pool when the sun is hot enough for solar. Now it seems the gas heater runs all the time to heat the spa and the heat pump is the secondary heater.

How can I configure my AquaLink controller to only use solar on the pool and use the heat pump as the priority heater with gas back up only on the spa? I use the “One Touch” feature when I want to heat the spa. Thank you in advance for your help.

Sorry WardL. Lots of us Jandy Aqualink users, but your needs with 3 heating options and Pool/Spa Combo are probably more of a niche. Hopefully someone with experience in your scenario will come along and say something brilliant.

In the meantime, it sounds like the issue is one of prioritization, so I assume all the JVAs are each activating properly through your Aqualink. Does your spa issue only arise when using the OneTouch Scene to start the heating process? (I personally don't find the OneTouch Scenes to be particularly smart.)

Dodger, thanks for the inquiry. It has been cool since I installed the solar and I have not seen the JVA turn on the solar. I have manually (with the toggle switch on the JVA) turned the solar on and off. I typically use the OneTouch option to heat up the spa. It is set to heat the spa with the heat pump and the propane heater. I turned it on tonight and both are running as expected. I have the Heat Pump as the priority heater and that seems to be working the way I want it now. But, I think with the Heat Pump as priority, it will come on to heat the pool tomorrow when I want only the solar to heat the pool.

Right, so the key is that you want a different heater priority for the 2 bodies of water, if I am understanding correctly. Hopefully someone here has dealt with that.

But just to confirm... you did the "Assign JVA" step when you installed Solar?

Yes, the Solar JVA is shown as “USED”. Im thinking of making the solar setup a manual JVA so I can leave the HP and propane heater as they were (with solar as the priority heater). I would have to manually turn on the solar if I wanted to use it.

I recently installed a solar heater system to my pool. I have a question about the using the three heating systems when heating the spa or pool. Before solar, the heat pump was enabled as the priority heater. Both the heat pump and gas heater would come on together to heat the spa. Once hot, the heat pump would keep it hot. I never want to ues my heat pump or gas heater to heat the pool. I want to only use solar heat to heat the pool. I’ve enabled "solar priority” to heat the pool when the sun is hot enough for solar. Now it seems the gas heater runs all the time to heat the spa and the heat pump is the secondary heater.

How can I configure my AquaLink controller to only use solar on the pool and use the heat pump as the priority heater with gas back up only on the spa? I use the “One Touch” feature when I want to heat the spa. Thank you in advance for your help.
Similar QUESTION>>> Thoughts on using solar as primary heat source using manual temp on/off when solar heat is available in old non digital fashion, emptying in thru spa. THEN leave iAqua to manage gas heater and heat pump as a backup for pool temp.? Would leave spa heat only group function with spa alone knowing would use spa heat much more than pool heating!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.