Procedure for refilling pool

Jan 13, 2019
Anthem, AZ
Hello,

First time pool owner and new to TFP.

I'm planning to drain and refill our chlorine pool due to elevated CYA levels. After the pool is drained and refilled, can someone explain the next steps to restoring pool chemistry?

Should the chlorine, pH, and CYA levels be tested immediately after filling or should the pool be allowed to circulate for a time before testing?

Thank you

Welcome to the forum!

I would suggest getting the pump running for an hour or so and then doing a complete set of tests on the water. What test kit do you have? You will most likely need to use muriatic acid over the next several weeks to drop your TA. You will need to add some CYA and obviously add liquid chlorine for FC.

I suggest you read ABC's Of Pool Water Chemistry and consider reviewing the entire Trouble Free Pool School book.

Thank you for your response:)

I have the TFP100 test kit.

I have read through the ABC's of pool chemistry and reviewed pertinent articles in Pool School.

I plan to use a 10% liquid chlorine, muriatic acid as needed, and conditioner for CYA. I'm familiar with the PoolMath app and will use this to guide the proper addition of chemicals. I understand it is best to "go slow" when adding acid and CYA.

I'm currently running the filter for approx 4 hrs daily - should I run it longer each day in the days following a refill?

Your pump run time this time of year is based on skimming needs. Each time you add chemicals run the pump a half hour or so to mix them in.

Great.

Any chance you can fill out a Signature? Will help members in answering any future questions if we can see what pool type, equipment, etc you have.

Test the pH, TA & CH of your fill water and you can plan what you need to do before the fill.

New water will have no CYA so don’t waste your reagent testing for that in new water. Have enough stablizer on hand to raise yiur CYA to at least 30 although in AZ you probably want CYA 50 by the summer.

Where is your fill water coming from?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.