Problems with Pool just resurfaced with Stonescapes mini pebble Caribbean blue

Pstallworth

Aug 20, 2019
Orlando
Hi I just bought my home and we had the pool resurfaced usuing stonescapes mini pebble Caribbean blue it’s been one week and I just am not seeing any pebbles. It looks like a quartz aggregate. I’ve contacted the company that I hired who came out and has assured me it looks just like it is supposed to. My eyes tell me different. He also said I should not expect it to change much more Ultimately I insisted he send me specifically what was used in the pool. Once I received the invoice it became apparent that another company actually did the work. I called another stonescapes authorized seller and got the ‘kit’ formula. Learned that I was not only shorted pebbles And dye was told 1 kit covered 250 sq ft. They used 3 kits on my pool. I’m going to measure today but believe the pool to be larger. Anyhow this company has a very good reputation but told me something entirely different. He told me wait another 2-3 weeks and in the meantime to add 1 gallon of acid every 3 days (assuming 18,000 gallon pool) whereas the person I thought I hired had me adding 1 cup per day.

So now I’m confused and don’t know what to do. I have a picture that shows my surface next to the stock sample online. Any info wwould be much appreciated.

Signed New Pool Owner

Attachments

• 5D76933F-C612-42A1-A2A1-49F2F95B3FB5.jpeg
    5D76933F-C612-42A1-A2A1-49F2F95B3FB5.jpeg
    473.7 KB · Views: 332
Hi ya P, welcome to TFP.... but I'm sorry its under these circumstances :(

Did the PB give you the NPT Stonesapes instructions for start up->

It looks to me as if you have a lot of cream which should have been removed with an acid wash type start up. Are you having to brush daily and see plaster dust?

I think calling NPT and talking to them, maybe they can confirm if the installer was one of theirs (licensed by them) and what to do to fix the discrepancies in the number of bags and appearance.

Calling in some pros-- > @JamesW @jimmythegreek @Richard320 @swimcmp

Maddie :flower:

Last edited:
Definitely not what is supposed to look like. Three batches, not kits, is not enough to do a pool you size either. Contact NPT directly the can send someone out and verify what was used and the improper application. Notify the contractor in writing and hopefully you have not made your final payment.

Reactions: Pstallworth
Hi ya P, welcome to TFP.... but I'm sorry its under these circumstances :(

Did the PB give you the NPT Stonesapes instructions for start up->

It looks to me as if you have a lot of cream which should have been removed with an acid wash type start up. Are you having to brush daily and see plaster dust?

I think calling NPT and talking to them, maybe they can confirm if the installer was one of theirs (licensed by them) and what to do to fix the discrepancies in the number of bags and appearance.

Calling in some pros-- > @JamesW @jimmythegreek @Richard320 @swimcmp

Maddie :flower:
Maddie thank you for responding. The installer is licensed installer - but he wants me to wait another 2-3 weeks which I do not want to do. I measured my pool today and it’s clearly larger than 750 sq ft - is 18x35 (Roman shape on one end) 3 feet to approx 6 plus depth - that was harder to measure ?) so I feel as though they used less than they should have to begin with and they used less pebbles hence the no pebble look ?

I called another stonescapes authorized local store and they are the ones that gave me the specs for the Caribbean blue mini pebble.

I need to figure out how to call not directly - when I go to the website it seems to direct me to local authorized dealers.

Definitely not what is supposed to look like. Three batches, not kits, is not enough to do a pool you size either. Contact NPT directly the can send someone out and verify what was used and the improper application. Notify the contractor in writing and hopefully you have not made your final payment.
Oh and yes I’ve been brushing it twice daily (giving my triceps a major workout) though there is some differing in what acid etc to put in. Argh. They have been paid.

Thank you for the direction. It’s sad they come out and insist that this is exactly how it is supposed to look. I will say when I called the other stonescapes auth dealer they did say this particular company that did mine had a stellar reputation so I’m hopeful that pans out.

Update - Stonescapes Mini Pebble Caribbean Blue - finish doesn't look right to me - after waiting 2 months as I was asked, the installer came out today to look at the pool with me. He tells me that this is exactly how it is supposed to look, that most people want a smooth surface. When I explain the reason I chose the mini pebble over a quartz aggregate was, well the PEBBLE! He tells me he can drain my pool and do an acid wash. I'm not too thrilled. Here is the latest photo of the surface, and while some of the cream certainly is gone compared to the beginning, it is still not a mini pebble surface to me. Also, I don't know what the white is in it since the Caribbean blue does not contain any white pebblePool Finish.jpg. Am I missing something here? Should I get the acid wash or just call NPT to come out? Thank you for your input.

This is what my Caribbean Blue looks like. Finished in April. It is darker than I expected and shade and some nearby tall Cypress makes it look a little green. Definitely have the pebbly feel which takes a bit to get used to.Stu and duck_20200710b.jpg

Reactions: Winter247

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
This is what my Caribbean Blue looks like. Finished in April. It is darker than I expected and shade and some nearby tall Cypress makes it look a little green. Definitely have the pebbly feel which takes a bit to get used to.View attachment 152737
My apologies. After looking at many samples, I forgot. Our pool is not Caribbean but Tropics Blue

Did you ever get a resolution through NPT? Not an expert and see your last post other than today was almost 2 months ago. It looks the mix was light on the pebble, heavy on the plaster. My understanding is NPT will send someone out to do an evaluation in a dispute. Not sure how you would get ahold of them other than through you installer or their website. Even your first pick the cream looks like it is cracking. The second pic looks much better but still not right. I think the acid wash would make it look better but rough and a little bumpy if my suspicion of the mix not having enough pebble in it is correct. I would see what NPT has to say.

Reactions: Pstallworth
I appreciate your response. My thoughts are same - too little pebble - and that’s why I hesitate doing the acid wash. I know exactly how many bags they used because I have the delivery sheet from the pallets. I may Try to reach back out to NPT if for nothing else to make sure they are fully aware of my experience. Thanks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.