Problem with legs moving on new ABG Pool

Tim L

Dec 2, 2021
Tallahassee
We have a new Intex 18' x 52": Problem Migrating pool legs and now 2nd go at it with same problem. After the 1st fill pool legs started moving in an outward direction. All foundation block ( 2-1/8" x 7 1/2"x 16" concrete) were rechecked using a water level. Tolerance was 1/8" in elevation difference to a set benchmark. Thinking of using a steel cable with turnbuckle to restrict cable from expanding. Need ideas on how to keep cable from climbing up the steel legs. Also seems some type of UV resistant hard rubber or hard plastic, etc to protect the legs from cable abrasion is in order.

Thank you

Are the tops of the pavers level with the pool bottom? If not they need to be dug down in to the ground or shimmed up to accomplish this.
Some movement of the legs is normal as the pool fills - you just have to keep adjusting as it fills. There should be a strap (wide band) of material that’s the same as the liner that keeps the legs pretty much in place & prevents them from bucking outward. You have placed your legs inside this loop, correct?
EA04E3BC-0182-4CB0-ADB5-4CFE5F662C39.jpeg

The liner will touch the legs towards the bottom & may push them a dab out of level back & forth. A tiny bit is not a cause for concern. Be sure to keep them level left & right. As it is filled you can tell if the pool is out of level by looking at the lines on the liner compared to the water level. Anything more than 2- 3 inches out of level should be addressed.
As the pool is used it will move around (it is just a big bag of water after all) so periodically checking the legs is important.
The weight of the water can compress the ground beneath the pavers or the pool bottom & cause things to go askew. This is why compacted, hard, virgin ground is recommended for set up.
I hope this info helps.
Some pics of the pool setup would be helpful .

Reactions: Newdude
Hi there Mdragger88
Appreciate the help.
Yes, the pavers are on compacted and/ or undisturbed clay with some very minor % of sand.

Concrete paver tops we believe to be very near level with same elevation as the pool sand bottom.

This sand was placed on carefully leveled and compacted clay bottom.
A layer of weed barrier was placed on top of the 1st 1.5 " of sand. Another 1" or so of sand was placed on top of the weed barrier and gain leveled.

All concrete pavers were very carefully leveled and positioned with a level to each leg to the mid point of each paver. During pool filling (both times) each leg was checked and adjusted a minimum of 4 -5 times for vertical, until to much water pressure was to great to adjust.

On the 2nd filling after only 3/4 filling, the next day we noticed many of the legs had migrated in and outward direction. We decided to drain the pool again until a solution is found. Some of the legs had little to no migration.

Level of water is within 1/8" - 1/4" over the entire length of the pool.

The clay under the pavers was very firmly compacted and in some cases was undisturbed. Each paver in turn was level front to back and side to side within 1/16" tolerance.

So we don't understand how this is happening. Again any help is welcomed. We are still looking at the steel cable idea with a turn buckle to adjust just so.

Also I can attach more pictures if needed.

Thank you,

Tim L.

Attachments

• 20211022_111030.jpg
    20211022_111030.jpg
    691.1 KB · Views: 27
  • 20211205_174935.jpg
    20211205_174935.jpg
    413.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211205_174644.jpg
    20211205_174644.jpg
    277.7 KB · Views: 26
  • 20211205_174848.jpg
    20211205_174848.jpg
    264.5 KB · Views: 24
  • 20211205_175427.jpg
    20211205_175427.jpg
    194.2 KB · Views: 28
Like i said the legs being a little touch out of level from front to back is ok - so long as left to right is level as well as the the pool as a whole. Your pavers are very close to the pool liner so u may wish to scoot them out a little bit for the legs in question so they remain in the center of the paver. Until the pool is completely full the legs will move - just keep adjusting. It looks good 👍🏻 The only thing I don’t see is an actual level on the legs - although i’m sure u have done that.
@jseyfert3 what do u think?

The pool is expected to move outwards as it fills.
If anything I'd say the pavers would've been better a little further out, but if it was mine I'd ignore it as use it as is. It looks good.

Pools aren't that picky, especially Intex ones. Most I see are installed on hills without pavers leaning to one side and they seem to hold up some how. I've seen some where the water is literally a foot deeper on one side.

I have this same pool and the legs move out when filled. It's the nature of the pool. The legs also move over time with the movement of the water, people swimming in it etc. My pool is set up on grass (I didn't consult anyone before set up haha) and it's still standing (2 seasons).
I do plan to drain and re-do in the spring, since it has become unlevel by about an inch.

Reactions: Mdragger88
A big thank you to all for your guidance & sharing! You have eased our worries. :)

Since we drained the pool a 2nd time, now beginning to move the pavers 1.5"- 2" further out from center of pool. Will add and compact some clayey fill in the little void behind each, add sand on top and refill the pool, rechecking and adjusting each leg as before (5-6+ times each) with a torpedo level to keep legs vertical till adjustment becomes too difficult.

Then onto solar heating design, construction and installation.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.