Problem with Compool Cp3800

Paul V.

Mar 2, 2022
Texas
Our pool filter has a Compool Cp3800 as the remote controller in the house. The controller has gone blanks. No error messages. The filter is still running at the times it was programmed to run and the freeze protection is still coming on, on cold nights. Does anyone have any ideas? I did not see any tripped circuit breakers. I tried to test for voltage and but nothing registered. I am guessing that if may be too low a voltage to test.

Paul.

Most likely the display is bad, since everything else appears to be working.

This is a very old system and I am not sure we have anyone that can actually help troubleshoot it.

Pentair makes a kit that upgrades from the Compool 3800 into an EasyTouch 8. This used to be $700 or so, but recently everything pool related as gone drastically up in price.

Tom might have an idea on getting the display working again. Calling @ogdento

Thanks,

Jim R.

There is a battery in the indoor controller as described in the wiki. Check that.

I would make sure that the cable from the outdoor unit to the indoor unit is okay... i.e. that the indoor panel is getting power and can communicate with the outdoor.

I'm thinking there's a greater chance that the cable is bad than the lcd - although if the lcd is connected to the board with "zebra strips" (little rubber elastomeric strips) then those could need a cleaning... but that's something to check once the cable is verified ok.

I know this thread is a little old...
Those units used to come from the factory with a "patch" cable (3 to 4 feet) attached inside the outdoor control box. If yours is still there you can remove your panel from inside the house, bring it to the outdoor controller and plug in your inside unit directly to the outdoor panel at the bottom of the PCB. Some boards had two plugs, others had only one. If you only have one, disconnect the cable from it and plug in your patch cable. If your controller works, then you know your cable between the indoor and the outdoor has been damaged.

Note: This system will work without the indoor unit as long as it has been set up with run times first. The programming resides in the outdoor unit.

Reactions: Jimrahbe
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.