Problem controlling gas heater from easytouch system

Kjhoffman

Gold Supporter
Jul 4, 2017
Bradenton
Hello. I've searched for this issue, but unable to find information per my issue. I have an easytouch system controlling my pool and spa. It has worked relatively well since I had it installed, except for a few actuator issues. The easytouch allows me to use the wireless remote to turn on SPA (as well as other items), and when I do, the heater turns on to heat the SPA accordingly. When I turn off the spa the heater also shuts down. However, when I replaced the last defective actuator I placed the heater into standby mode from the heater control panel. It has 3 modes, Standby, Pool and SPA. I believe it needs to be in pool or spa mode for the easytouch to control it. So when done with the actuator, I tested everything and all seemed to be working well. However, when the pump turned on the next morning, the heater came on as well. I have looked at the settings for the pool and spa heater from the easytouch and I think everything is correct (and as it was before I changed the actuator). It seems that leaving the heater in either pool or spa mode will result in it running whenever the pump runs, regardless of whether I turn on the spa ..in other words, the heater runs whenever the pump runs. Ive looked at the temp settings and the pool temp is warmer than the heat setting AND the heater mode is set to off in the easytouch. Im pulling my hair out because everything did work and I know changing an actuator should have had no effect on heater. What am I missing ?

Reactions: Julie8000
Press the Mode button to place the heater in Standby Mode.
Hold the Down Arrow and Mode buttons simultaneously for 3 seconds for Bypass operation. “bo” will be displayed on the screen.
Heater must then be in Spa or Pool Mode for operation. The heater will fire when instructed by the external control.

84 should be the actual water temperature. When you press the down arrow, the display should change from actual temperature to set temperature. If you keep holding the down arrow, the set temperature should begin to scroll down.

If nothing happens when you press the down arrow, the touchpad is bad.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
put into pool mode, was set at 85 and I scrolled down a few degrees .. I put into spa mode, it was set at 104, and i scrolled down a few degrees .. I believe it was put in and left in spa mode when the easytouch installed, which i think makes sense.. I tried again pressing mode (while in standby) and down arrow .. no response.

Just curious, my H400 manual does not reference a Bypass Operation mode ... but the H400IDL manual does ..is it possible the H400 didnt have capability to set BO from control panel ? Maybe dip switch settings ? I honestly do not recall ever seeing bo on the panel display either ... if it is a dip switch setting, they would still be set for BO ..is there any other troubleshooting you can suggest before I call for pool service ?

2-Wire Remote Thermostat:
This type of remote has its own temperature sensor for regu-
lating the water temperature. To disable the heater’s thermostat,
set the bypass dipswitch to the “on” position. Wire the remote to
terminals 1 & 2 of the terminal block. Do not remove the jumper
clip on terminals 4 & 5.
To operate the heater by remote thermostat, the heater’s con-
trol must be in either the “Pool” or “Spa” mode. The heater’s dis-
play will show “bO”. The “Pool” or “Spa” LED will be illuminated.
The heater will fire when instructed by the remote thermostat.
The heater’s thermostat will function to limit the water tempera-
ture to a maximum of 104° F.

2-Wire Remote Switch:
This type of remote allows for the heater to be remotely
turned off or on. The heater uses its internal thermostat to regu-
late the water temperature.
Connect this type of remote to terminals 4 & 5. Remove the
jumper clip from 4 & 5. The bypass dip-switch should be kept in
the off position.
The heater’s internal thermostat will regulate the water
temperature. Whenever the remote switch is off, heater will be
disabled and the display will show “LO”.

3-Wire Remote Switch:
A 3-wire remote allows for the “Pool” or “Spa” modes of the
heater to be remotely selected. The heater uses its internal ther-
mostat to regulate the water temperature.
Connect Pool/Low of the remote to terminal 1, Common
to terminal 2, and Spa/High to terminal 3. Do not remove the
jumper clip on terminals 4 & 5. The bypass dipswitch should be
kept in the off position.
To operate the heater with a remote 3-wire switch, the
heater’s control must be in the “Standby” mode. The Standby
LED will be illuminated. When the remote switch is set to “Pool/
Low”, the Pool LED will be energized and the display will show
the Pool water temperature. When the remote switch is set to
“Spa/High”, the Spa LED will be energized and the display will
show the Spa water temperature. The heater will use its internal
thermostat to regulate the water temperature to the set point of
the mode selected.
It depends on how your system is wired to be controlled.

I suspect that you have a three wire system and need to leave the heater in standby mode.

The EasyTouch should select Pool or Spa as needed.

I believe the EasyTouch only has a two wire connection for gas heaters...

JamesW.. Looking at the info you provided above, it appears to me the heater is wired for "2-Wire Remote Switch" but really should be wired for "2-Wire Remote Thermostat"...

Since I don't have a heater, I could be full of hot air... :p But based upon the OP's input, it sounds about right to me.

Thanks,

Jim R.

While in STandby mode the ET will not change the mode to pool or spa when heat is called for.

Jim R. You are correct, the unit was wired as 2 wire switch option. Unfortunately my ET does not send the "off signal" so the heater just continues to run till it hits the set temp per heater setting... so I need to manually place the heater in STandby mode when heat not desired.

K,

Like you, I'm puzzled how it worked before you fixed your actuator problem... :confused:

As far as I can tell, the EasyTouch can only turn on/off the "flame" in your heater, the electronics will stay on for ever. Basically the ET just interrupts the series of safety devices that shut the flame down if signal is not there.

Were you manually putting the heater into standby before the actuator fix?

I noticed that the heater should come on anytime you select Pool or Spa from the indoor control panel (even if set to off), but it appears the heater should not come on when Pool is being scheduled by a program.

Logic says that if it was working before the actuator, and not now, that you had to do something to cause the issue...

Since I don't have a heater, I don't have much practical experience with troubleshooting them.

Do you have ScreenLogic?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.