Probably a dumb question...but here goes! :+)

May 12, 2017
Temecula, CA
So I have high CYA still after about an 80-85% drain/refill. It was north of 290 before drain and now is around 90. While I realize that I need to maintain a higher level of chlorine, between 10-12ppm, am I correct in assuming that it may "maintain" my chlorine better or "lose less" since my CYA is higher, meaning potentially less overall need for chlorine????

So I have high CYA still after about an 80-85% drain/refill. It was north of 290 before drain and now is around 90. While I realize that I need to maintain a higher level of chlorine, between 10-12ppm, am I correct in assuming that it may "maintain" my chlorine better or "lose less" since my CYA is higher, meaning potentially less overall need for chlorine????
A clean pool will consume 2-4ppm of FC daily regardless. 90ppm of CYA is not the end of the world for daily maintenance, never let the FC fall below 7ppm, and target 12ppm daily.

Just make sure you stay on top of the FC. If the pool ever goes green a SLAM at CYA of 90ppm would require you to maintain a FC of 36ppm.

I would drain and get your CYA to recommended target.

1. Your PH will always be suspect.
2. The cost of chlorine vs. water refill at 90 CYA in my neck of the woods would be a simple decision.
3. Once you get on target with a TFP pool you will understand, stare at your water in amazement.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.