Probably a Crazy Question, but do i need to add Bleach when it's this cold?

Cody

Bronze Supporter
Aug 17, 2014
Prosper, TX
I'm in North Texas. Over the past couple of weeks it's been cold (below freezing at night about half the time, highs no higher than 50 and usually in the 40s). I haven't added any bleach in almost a month and my water is crystal clear. It looks exactly the same as it does in the summer when I'm testing daily and maintaining proper levels per this site. Does algae stop forming/growing at certain temps? Can i save money on bleach at certain temps? Again, feel free to tell me I'm crazy....I knew this was the place to get an answer.

I haven't added any bleach in almost a month and my water is crystal clear.
Don't let that fool you. Algae can be transparent and leave you open to a quick pond when temps increase. While the bleach demand and potential for algae growth slows-down a lot in the colder water (below 60), you still want to ensure you have the correct FC level for your current CYA (see Chlorine/CYA Chart link below). That always works best. Have a nice weekend.

Cody,

Algae growth is very minimal when the water temps get below 50 degrees or so..

You can do whatever works best for you, but I always try to maintain at least the minimum FC/CYA level no matter the temperature.. [FC/CYA][/FC/CYA]

That said, the FC does not burn off very fast in the winter.. so the cost is next to nothing. (Note that I have to use Liquid Chlorine in the Winter when my SWCG shuts off due to the cold water)..

Thanks for posting,

Jim R.

Thanks, guys. I could just go out there in the frigid weather (I'm a Texas guy!!) and test. There's a chance I still have enough FC in the water as well. I'll test soon and ensure I keep it where it needs to be.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.