Privacy Screen Ideas

I think you’ve found your solution, but since I came up I with my idea before I read the post where you were happy with your idea, I‘ll share it anyway. The idea is for a two-post pergola, with about a 2’ wide section at the top, and about 10-12’ wide parallel to the side of the tub. That’s mostly just to make the structure look aesthetically pleasing, but the point would be to mount a Coolaro shade from the structure that you lower when needed and retract when you don’t. I always like to try at attach function to form if possible. Meaning it looks great and also happens to do the job. And as a bonus, if you build it several feet away from the tub, you can use it to mount a hammock in between the posts. A two-fer.

I think you’ve found your solution, but since I came up I with my idea before I read the post where you were happy with your idea, I‘ll share it anyway. The idea is for a two-post pergola, with about a 2’ wide section at the top, and about 10-12’ wide parallel to the side of the tub. That’s mostly just to make the structure look aesthetically pleasing, but the point would be to mount a Coolaro shade from the structure that you lower when needed and retract when you don’t. I always like to try at attach function to form if possible. Meaning it looks great and also happens to do the job. And as a bonus, if you build it several feet away from the tub, you can use it to mount a hammock in between the posts. A two-fer.
Oh I like this! I've been meaning to make a hammock stand at some point anyway!

ohhhhhhhhhhhhh I love that idea! AND it could be used for a movie screen as well!! so it is a 3fer!
Don't be giving my wife any ideas now! :LOL:

Now I was thinking about some speakers and a TV or screen for our pool, but that couldn't be with the spa though due to distance and angle.

Oh I like this! I've been meaning to make a hammock stand at some point anyway!

Don't be giving my wife any ideas now! :LOL:

Now I was thinking about some speakers and a TV or screen for our pool, but that couldn't be with the spa though due to distance and angle.
Oh yeah! I'm making a hammock stand too. Outdoor movie night is awesome, so nice. I got a cheap screen from amazon and using a Epson dvd player/projector.

He's in Wisconsin. Maybe a pine tree?🌲
In the Midwest, arborvitaes do very well, grow pretty quick, and provide privacy pretty quick. They grow more upright than out so they don't take up as much real estate as a pine tree, but do the trick real well. I expect to plant about 14 of them on my fence line for some privacy (neighbor has a metal fence) in the spring and provide some more green to the hardscapes of the pool area. Around here, you can get a 6' arborvitae for around $50 each, and larger and taller ones getting up to about $200 each. I expect I'll go middle and spend about $100 on each, and while $1,400 sounds a lot for some bushes, it really is not considering how much will be covered and how much privacy will be achieved.

In the Midwest, arborvitaes do very well, grow pretty quick, and provide privacy pretty quick. They grow more upright than out so they don't take up as much real estate as a pine tree, but do the trick real well. I expect to plant about 14 of them on my fence line for some privacy (neighbor has a metal fence) in the spring and provide some more green to the hardscapes of the pool area. Around here, you can get a 6' arborvitae for around $50 each, and larger and taller ones getting up to about $200 each. I expect I'll go middle and spend about $100 on each, and while $1,400 sounds a lot for some bushes, it really is not considering how much will be covered and how much privacy will be achieved.
We have some cedar trees in Chicago, a kind of arborvitae. They have more sprawling longer branches and grow out more, maybe too much, but you can cut them back. Birds love them.

I'll just add that grasses grow SUPER fast like 8 feet in a season so there's that. And they are maintenance free for the most part. I have them around my pool. Tall and bushy.
I’ll keep that in mind for my pool for sure! They’d also be cheap.

But for the spa they have the downside they they really are only there for the period the spa sees the least amount of use. I suppose if I got a chiller the spa may see more summer use, but as is it’s usually too hot and even if cooler, on a warm day the pumps heat it up pretty quick to uncomfortable temps. So if you can’t use the jets and it’s hot out may as well just soak in the pool.

Bad thing with arborvites is the deer love them. I wont plant them anymore for customers. I've had deer jump the fence to eat the bottoms they end up like lollipops. Leyland cypress do much better w deer amd they grow wider for privacy amd are cheap too

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I’ll keep that in mind for my pool for sure! They’d also be cheap.

But for the spa they have the downside they they really are only there for the period the spa sees the least amount of use. I suppose if I got a chiller the spa may see more summer use, but as is it’s usually too hot and even if cooler, on a warm day the pumps heat it up pretty quick to uncomfortable temps. So if you can’t use the jets and it’s hot out may as well just soak in the pool.

Actually..... They grow during the season and by season's end, they are 8 foot plus. At some point over the winter, they get cut down to about a foot. Currently they are still at 6-8 feet, however. So they do grow long into the off season.

I have a Covana Oasis motorized cover system with opaque privacy shades (one Island mural shade, 2 slate grey opaque shades, and no shade on the entry side). This system is extremely effective for privacy.

Reactions: jseyfert3
I like your solution. I'd go ahead and plant some Emerald Green Arborvitae for the future, and use the cover for now.

I looked at the corvana a bit, but i got to be honest, I like looking up into the sky a bit too much to want a roof permanently over my head. The umbrella does the trick for rainy or sunny days.

I'm not sure if it will work, but you might also move your umbrella to the corner facing the neighbors, you'll get a pretty good amount of blocking from it when its down that way.

Reactions: jseyfert3
I would propose to build a relatively cheap pergola over your hot tub. On the one side of the pergola you can build your privacy wall to hide from the neighbors without it looking out of place. You can then turn that privacy wall into a plant wall or vegetable wall. Then it all looks like its done with a purpose and the side effect is that it gives you privacy.

Good luck and let us know what you decide.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.