TFP Guide
Oct 20, 2017
Southern WI
Pool Size
Surface
Vinyl
Chlorine
Liquid Chlorine
I’m looking for ideas for a privacy screen for our hot tub. On one side there’s direct line of sight from some of our neighbor’s windows which I’d prefer to block. I was thinking perhaps a short section of shade tolerant hedge plants but that would be years before they would be tall enough.

The easiest solution may be to change the cover lift from the side facing our backyard (which doesn’t have line of sight to any houses) to the side facing the neighbors. It would then both double as a privacy screen and open up the view to the backyard which I’ve also wanted. But then the cover opens the wrong way relative to the entrance and I’m not sure if the mounts would work since the mount would then be on the equipment bay side.

How about some pics showing the problem area for us to give you some ideas?

A wooden privacy fence or a well placed sunshade overhead will not work?

I would never recommend planting bamboo. Bamboo is an invasive species. Once planted it spreads and you can never eliminate it in the area. Don‘t plant bamboo.

Reactions: Mdragger88
Bamboo in concrete planters, of course.

How much money ya got? Louvered roofing can be adjusted to block the neighbors view, but not the sky.

You could simulate the adjustable ones with a fixed wooden or vinyl or metal louver material, that wasn't adjustable, for significantly less cost, especially if you built it yourself.

How about some pics showing the problem area for us to give you some ideas?

A wooden privacy fence or a well placed sunshade overhead will not work?
Yeah I was thinking perhaps a privacy fence, but I already have one in my yard, a second portion of one may not look the best?

Unfortunately while I’m currently enjoying the hot tub, I have no current pictures showing the layout to the neighbors house and it’s too dark to get them. I will try and get some tomorrow.

Can you turn the whole tub?
That may be a good idea. Didn’t think of that myself, but yes it would be possible to turn the hot tub. I’d have to re-run the electrical for the tub but that wouldn’t be difficult at all, though I’d have to get a permit obviously. Perhaps two as I’m not entirely certain the previous owners got a hot tub or electrical permit to install this tub (it doesn’t show in the online portal but I do not know if that means it wasn’t obtained or only if the city did not put permits on the portal at the time they installed the hot tub).

Ooh, I can't officially recommend not getting a permit, but I wouldn't voluntarily invite an inspector into my house or yard. Where I used to live, they were mandated to look for violations, and not limited to the permitted project (city/county revenue source). Plus, an inspection doesn't always guarantee the job is done right, or even to code. A lot of inspectors are retired and/or failed contractors. Need I say more? Better to spend your money on a qualified local electrician. The right one will do the job right, to local code, and mind his own business. Some municipalities would not even require an inspection for such a project. Just some things to think through...

Reactions: Roaddogmm
How much money ya got? Louvered roofing can be adjusted to block the neighbors view, but not the sky.

You could simulate the adjustable ones with a fixed wooden or vinyl or metal louver material, that wasn't adjustable, for significantly less cost, especially if you built it yourself.
We could easily do pretty much whatever we wanted for this, but the real question is how much we want to spend of course, not how much we have.

At a local hot tub store we saw the Covana Oasis on display on a filled hot tub inside the store. I have to say, it was tempting and I still think about it. Very well insulated lid/roof that sits on the spa with a air tight seal, which would minimize heating costs. When you want to use the tub you twist a key and it rises up, making a gazebo over the spa, with color selectable lights. There are privacy screens on three sides that can either be lowered as desired or left attached, in which case they automatically extend when the roof is lifted. Despite being $7000, it was, and is, very tempting. But I’m not sure if I would like a permanent roof overhead or not. On the flip side it would give use the privacy we want, and would be a much better shelter for rainy days than the umbrella the previous owners left that can be extended over the spa. That works well for rain with no wind, but wind will push rain into the spa.

Tradeoffs for everything I suppose...

The angles are fairly low, I think a 6’ privacy fence or similar next to the patio would block the line of sight from the neighbors house. And would be cheap. The question is overall looks vs functionality I suppose. That’s why I wanted ideas, often someone has an idea you never thought of (like rotating the hot tub).

Ooh, I can't officially recommend not getting a permit, but I wouldn't voluntarily invite an inspector into my house or yard. Where I used to live, they were mandated to look for violations, and not limited to the permitted project (city/county revenue source). Plus, an inspection doesn't always guarantee the job is done right, or even to code. A lot of inspectors are retired and/or failed contractors. Need I say more? Better to spend your money on a qualified local electrician. The right one will do the job right, to local code, and mind his own business. Some municipalities would not even require an inspection for such a project. Just some things to think through...
Electricians are required to pull a permit, and all electrical or pool/spa permits require an inspection or two. I understand what you are saying, though in this case I wouldn’t expect issues as I’ve had an inspector here for my pool site inspection before I put that up, and when my electrical service was upgraded (which I hired an electrician to do) the inspector came out for that. While he was here he did the required final inspection for my pool. So if there had been issues they almost certainly would have been raised before now.

That said when I emailed the inspector with a couple questions before I put my pool up, he asked who was doing the electrical install and when I said the company, he said “they know what they are doing.” So it’s entirely possible the degree to which they inspect for issues depends on who does the actual work. DIY is allowed for homeowners per local code if you take and pass a knowledge test before you do your work, but they probably inspect it a lot harder than they do the work of the company I hired earlier this year...

Reactions: Dirk
That Covana cover is the trick! LOVE the picture shades! Do have to wonder how they are printed on the the shade and how long it will last being rolled and un rolled but would be worth it for the time it does last!

But if turning it does the blocking you want it to then you may be set just doing that.

I LOVE TFP and it's members as someone almost always has an idea someone else did not think of like Dirk and turning the spa! SCORE! :hug: @Dirk
Kim:kim:

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
What about a trellis with a vine? The trellis will give you some privacy now and if you pick the right vine you can have it completely screened in 6 months. Heck, I have even heard of people using Hops vines for privacy, and you get the added bonus of hops if you are a beer brewer.

Okay, here is the spa and neighbor's house in question:
full

Approximate view from the lounge seat:
full

For the turning idea, the power enters the spa in liquid-tight conduit at the lower right of the spa from this view. Rotating would put the cover facing the neighbors house when open, completely blocking all view of the spa. It'd have to be rotated and slid to the far side of the patio, but it would work. And would solve my desired to open up the view to the backyard (left) without getting a low profile cover holder. Hmm...

That Covana cover is the trick! LOVE the picture shades! Do have to wonder how they are printed on the the shade and how long it will last being rolled and un rolled but would be worth it for the time it does last!

But if turning it does the blocking you want it to then you may be set just doing that.

I LOVE TFP and it's members as someone almost always has an idea someone else did not think of like Dirk and turning the spa! SCORE! :hug: @Dirk
Kim:kim:
Yeah like I said it's very tempting! But all I can think about is the complicated lift mechanism and how it will inevitably break and we won't be able to get in the spa or won't be able to close it. I suppose if you maintain and inspect it it shouldn't be too bad, it's probably the same lifting mechanism in a pop-up camper and those last a while.

And yes I love the ideas you get on a forum!

What about a trellis with a vine? The trellis will give you some privacy now and if you pick the right vine you can have it completely screened in 6 months. Heck, I have even heard of people using Hops vines for privacy, and you get the added bonus of hops if you are a beer brewer.
Hmm. I do make beer, extract only right now but I intend to get into all grain in the near future. Hops would be great, but the area in question is almost full shade. The pictures were taken around 11:30, this is on the north side of the house so it's quite shaded. There is some sunlight in the morning but not for more than an hour or two.

I've thought about vines, but I'm only aware of deciduous vines, and around here that would mean no leaves for almost half the year...the half of the year the hot tub gets the most use! Are there evergreen, shade tolerant vines hardy to zone 5?

another thought: how about leveraging outdoor roller shades? You could build a nice seating wall with frames to mount the shades., or just the frame. They easily raise and lower as you need them. Or add them to a trellis as you wait for the vines to grow in. roller shades are so easy to mount and the are not heavy. Used them for a number of privacy solutions over the years.
Example here

edit: build a bar on that hot tub side framed out for the roller shade. Functional with the shade up or down. Here is the one I am currently using. No cords

Last edited:
Reactions: jseyfert3
I am really liking the turn the spa idea as it does two things-block neighbor view AND open up your view of the yard.

The idea of the lift getting stuck is very valid. Tim is just had to replace the orings in his car lift a couple of months ago. Not a fun job but it worked!

Can u just turn the cover & re mount it? In the pic I can’t see how the cover lift mounts exactly. But it looks like with the cover rotated it would kinda give u a handrail to get in & out too.

I like these. It would give it a tiki bar vibe while standing out as specifically *not* being just extra sections of fence. They make a cheap one too that was $30 for 16ft. Try that one first and if you hate it, it was a cheap attempt.

Can u just turn the cover & re mount it? In the pic I can’t see how the cover lift mounts exactly. But it looks like with the cover rotated it would kinda give u a handrail to get in & out too.
Well I mentioned this in my opening post, but apparently I didn't think about it enough. I said:
The easiest solution may be to change the cover lift from the side facing our backyard (which doesn’t have line of sight to any houses) to the side facing the neighbors. It would then both double as a privacy screen and open up the view to the backyard which I’ve also wanted. But then the cover opens the wrong way relative to the entrance and I’m not sure if the mounts would work since the mount would then be on the equipment bay side.
Well, after you made your post I did two things. First, I went out there with a tap measure and yes, I could totally move the cover lift mount point to the front side. I may have to add some wood to strengthen it, but that would be easy. The lift mount fits without covering the equipment bay panel.

Second, I actually thought about the cover opening the "wrong way." Yes, it would be the wrong way traditionally. But how do I actually open the cover most of the time? I walk around to the side facing the neighbors, grab the corner (no handle there), flip the first part over then flip the cover up off to the side. So I actually open the cover exactly how I would have to open the cover if I flipped the cover mounts to rotate just the cover!

So, I suspect I will take that route as the easiest. No need to rotate the tub (and re-run the electrical), and it solves the privacy and opening up the view to the backyard.

Rotating just the cover mount doesn't completely block line of sight from the lounge seat, but if I strategically move that closed umbrella over a little bit that would block line of sight for the lounge seat. Perfect! (we only ever use the umbrella if it's raining)

Of course I always wait till the very best weather to do projects like this...
1608505108504.png

I have a round tub (no cover lift) & i open/ put mine on all willy nilly lol 😂. I have never noticed it really mattering which way its positioned so long as when its 1/2 open i can access the control panel. My motto is try the cheapest, simplest method 1st before getting too complex. Hope it works out as envisioned 😊 if not just start skinny dipping- they’ll probably start looking away or build their own screen lol 😂😂😂

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.