Priming?

RDriver

Oct 30, 2021
Washington
Do IntelliFlo pumps need to be primed? I have a pump that only operates jets in the spa and recently during a burst pipe issue due to freezing I had to turn the system off. I noticed that the pump was operating without water. After my shock at this, and thinking it was due to a drained spa due to the water leak from the burst pipe, I refilled the spa and am trying to get the pump running again. It turns fine but no water coming in, and all valves are open. Do I need to open the pump and pour some water in there to prime it?

IntelliFlo pumps will self prime unless you have a suction side air leak.

If it cannot suck in water then check for air leaks.

Is the pump lid securely closed?

Reactions: RDriver
R,

Sounds like the pump pushes the water out of the pump basket and then no water is coming in.. This could be caused by..

Weir door in the skimmer stuck up.
A valve in the intake line closed or internally broken.
Clogged intake line.
Collapsed intake line if you have flex line.

I just reread your initial post and I see this pump is just for the spa jets.. Where does the pump get its water input?

Show us some pics of your pump and the associated intake valve set up.

Is the equipment pad above or below your spa?

Thanks,

Jim R.

29862191-1698-4737-89C2-406AB0F08DCD.jpeg02BB5C87-3283-48BE-8BD3-9E96DD233F8C.jpeg

Hi Jim. Equipment pad is located below the spa, and I don’t know how to figure out the intake. I’m guessing it’s from the spa drain/suction. The pump on the left is the one in question, and attaching a close up too.

R,

Sounds like the pump pushes the water out of the pump basket and then no water is coming in.. This could be caused by..

Clogged intake line.

I just reread your initial post and I see this pump is just for the spa jets.. Where does the pump get its water input?

Thanks,

Jim R.
Now that I think about it, because the spa drained due to the busted pipe, I wonder if a bunch of air is in the line?
R,

Clogged intake line.

Thanks,

Jim R.

R,

If the equipment pad is below the spa, then you'd think that any connecting pipes would be full of water. :scratch:

Show us some pics of the input plumbing to the spa pump.

Does your Spa spillover into your pool when in the pool mode? If so, then the Spa pump must get its input from some line in the bottom of your spa, otherwise it would spillover in the Spa mode, which of course you would not want.

If this were my pool, I'd want to make sure the input line to the spa pump was connected to the spa and was not blocked.. Was this the same line that was "repaired"?

Thanks,

Jim R.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.