Price check on an OEM T-CELL-15

There are a couple of issues buying the generic cells:
1. The warranty is usually less, 2 years compared to 3 years for the OEM cell.
2. The lifespan of generic cells are usually rated for less hours than the OEM cells, hence the shorter warranty times.
3. To make a warranty claim you have to deal with shipping and all that goes with buying it online with a generic cell. With a OEM cell you can take it to an authorized dealer and they will replace it right then and there if it is a bad cell.

I have found warranty claims to be a waste of time unless something is DoA. Depleting a cell is pretty easy to do if your FC requirement is high and you've run your cell for a few years.

Or if you clean the cell a bunch of times like me, for no reason, with straight acid. Lalalalalala pool looks awesome. That musta been great advice Lalalalalalala. Live and learn my friends, live and learn.

• Haha
Reactions: YippeeSkippy
I have found warranty claims to be a waste of time unless something is DoA. Depleting a cell is pretty easy to do if your FC requirement is high and you've run your cell for a few years.
This has not been my experience what so ever. My Jandy cell was replaced at 2 years 10 months and two of my Hayward cells have all been replaced while under warranty.

This has not been my experience what so ever. My Jandy cell was replaced at 2 years 10 months and two of my Hayward cells have all been replaced while under warranty.

Awesome it worked out for you. I have been shocked myself a few times when a company stood behind its product. Overall though, across many industries, there are usually a boatload of loopholes for the manufacturers to weasel out of the supposed warranties.

There are a couple of issues buying the generic cells:
1. The warranty is usually less, 2 years compared to 3 years for the OEM cell.
2. The lifespan of generic cells are usually rated for less hours than the OEM cells, hence the shorter warranty times.
3. To make a warranty claim you have to deal with shipping and all that goes with buying it online with a generic cell. With a OEM cell you can take it to an authorized dealer and they will replace it right then and there if it is a bad cell.

Being in the generic cell business myself, I have to agree with ping here on points 1 and 2. I've been so reluctant to address this because some might consider it sour grapes with what I have experienced this past year in the generic cell market. New companies popping up then disappearing. Charging sales tax but not remitting to the states thus pocketing that money as profit. Implying their cells are equal to the OEM but plates are only good for 3000 hours. (Because how would a buyer know...I've always had 7000 hr cells and Hayward is 10K). Misidentifying imported products to get around or reduce tariffs. Ordering one branded cell and receiving a different brand or even a different model and calling it a free upgrade. Offering ridiculous 5 or 7 year prorated warranties with no disclosure as to what the pro-rations are or that they are based upon some mythical MSRP. Unable to make a warranty claim because no one answers the phone, English is not their first language, or the warranty center is overseas. Their goal is to make you give up.

Sometimes I'm forced to compete on price and the only way I can do it is with various warranty terms for the exact same cell. But I will NEVER compromise my ethics and violate the law or withhold service to my customers like other companies whose sole goal is to sell product and then not stand behind it.

I've pulled back the curtain before and I figure there will be 1000 unhappy buyers next year that fell for these new companies just like those who unfortunately fell for the saltpoolstore disaster a few years ago.

If the OEM's service wasn't so bad I would have never gotten into this business in the first place.

All imo.

Reactions: Newdude
You could sell literal poop for all I care if it’s fair and square and you are honest it is poop. It’s an added bonus and a testament to your character if you go even further and stand behind your poop.

Interesting about your salt test testing inaccuracy. I just purchased a new bottle of R-0718 and now my tests are +700ppm high as I’ve verified from test trips, pool store test using the K-1766, and salt cell readings.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.