Price agreed to but can't agree to contract terms...what to do?

I just wish people on this forum would be a bit more open to advice on how to properly work with and handle contractors from people that do this for a living. too often, I see people get defensive about the advice given, and only want to defend how THEY did it. we have a lot of resources here, but mostly the advice goes of deaf ears when it comes to this subject. and I not talking about the OP, just more of a general statement. there are very standard protocols involving the process of construction and payment, but with PB contractors, and they take advantage of homeowners with no experience in the process. everything the PBs are doing, and that people are letting become the norm, solely benefits the contractor 100%. people should be taking steps to protect themselves, not the contractor.

Well...after taking off work, driving an hour away and preparing for this meeting we JUST got a call that they have to cancel, because the one person who can negotiate a contract had a family emergency. We are so over this PB. We told them we are done with them.

Novcruisin, Sunbaby, just today posted a news story about a PB on the run here is the link http://www.troublefreepool.com/threads/102739-Houston-Pool-Builder-on-the-run

Also in the bottom of page 1 in the comments on that link ummgood actually mentioned another awesome, and very smart idea of requiring the contractor between each draft phase to show proof in writing by the sub that they have been paid in full for the last draft phase, before allowing the next draft to occur. LOL I'm sorry, I'm a newbie, and don't know how to post the exact quote on here yet, so please go to that link above, and read how ummgood explains it at the bottom of page 1 because it is a very smart idea to help protect yourself.

I'm convinced you guys live in a different world than I do.

I dispute the charge, and get my money back. Non delivery of merchanise or services is not the same as a complaint over shody merchandise that's covered by the Fair Credit Billing Act, and not the Fair Credit Reporting Act. The fact that you got that wrong makes me wonder.

You're comparing a government regulated industry to a PB. I'll take my chances with an insurance company, but not a PB.

Seriously? I buy cheap consumables on vacation. I don't come home with TVs or refrigerators.

I'd be more worried that my kid would lose interest after springing for the equipment and quitting.

I worked construction projects on the client side with two large outfits. We NEVER paid up front. The only ones that get duped by this scam are home owners, and it's because they are just not sophisticated. I have had contractors ask for money up front "to buy materials," in my private dealings. Each time I sent them away, they always relented. There is no custom that this is just the way it's done. They do it because they get away it. Is it always going to be a problem to prepay, no, but when it is, it costs people thousands of dollars that they usually can't afford to lose. If a builder's cashflow is that tight, it's a warning to run.

Your examples aren't that great either. You're comparing stuff that maybe costs $500 tops with a $50,000 construction job.

This has become a very interesting and entertaining thread.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.